Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

anyone know of CCP? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

haagar98

IS-IT--Management
May 10, 2000
GB
Visit site
Does anyone know of CCP(certified computing professional) certification offered by Institute for Certification of Computing Professionals (ICCP) ?<br>I have recently(jus today) come to know about it and want to know is it common in the industry? do companies give value to it? <p>Hagar<br><a href=mailto:Haagar98@yahoo.com>Haagar98@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I've never heard of it, In my opinion if the certification is for Software, Microsoft seems to be the big one for software planning and development, other names that are reconized as like Cisco and Novell, for hardware A+ seems to be the big one. those are the names I hear alot of, and usally the ones I can see as being most quickly accepted. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

CCP Certification has been around a long time -- since early 1970's.&nbsp;&nbsp;It used to be called CDP (Certified Data Processor).&nbsp;&nbsp;It is test based.&nbsp;&nbsp;There are three tests required.&nbsp;&nbsp;The first is looking for overall breadth of knowledge in IS and technology.&nbsp;&nbsp;You can then choose two specialty tests that look for depth of knowledge in those areas.&nbsp;&nbsp;(There are at least 11 of these areas)<br><br>I have had CCP since late 80's. It is definately a technical certification but more for the IS professional than the career code junkie (I mean nothing bad by that - these are valuable people as evidenced by the interest in them in the industry).&nbsp;&nbsp;There are a number of companies that value it highly -- others that don't care about it at all.&nbsp;&nbsp;I think it has a lot to do with whether they are looking for people with multiple capabilities and interests or a coding machine that can do one thing really really well. Everyone knows which one of these they are - you decide.<br><br>Go to iccp.org for more information.

Iam not a code junkie and consider myself more a IS professional(work as a IT auditor right now)and I was looking into the CCP in order to help me in my next career move to a Systems Analyst job. <br>In this context do you think it might add some ammo in my search? Is it valued by companies looking for Systems Analysts/IT project management staff/IT consultant ? <p>Hagar<br><a href=mailto:Haagar98@yahoo.com>Haagar98@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I've been a Business Analyst for many years. Never heard of it, and no one has ever asked me about it. Why don't you try speaking to some recruiters in your local area, (or nationaly if you're open to relocation) as they will likely be the ones finding your next job for you. The good ones know what their clients are looking for. Look for someone who has been a successful IT recruiter for years, not just an IT person who is actually between jobs, or someone who has had 10 different careers in 20 years and now wants to try recruiting.

Go to jobserve.com and type in ccp and see how many companies are asking for it.

In 1985, my then employer was surveying its IT employees to see who could qualify for various ICCP certifications based on previous experience. I was one of a very few who qualified, as a &quot;Certified Systems Professional&quot;. Got a really heavy plaque with the cert. The next month I was fired by that same company for &quot;raising user expectations&quot; - I was giving same day service, or same week new systems on PCs, and the users were starting to question the responsiveness of the rest of the IT organization. So much for the value of the certificate. For what it's worth, I've been doing Novell since 1986, and never gotten certified - when I interview for a job, the interviewers have been much more interested in what I have actually done, rather than what tests I might have passed. <p>Fred Wagner<br><a href=mailto:frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us>frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back