Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone know of a good Unix training course?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolwol

MIS
Apr 3, 2006
US
Hi all,

Does anyone know of a good way for me to learn UNIX? I need a training method like to Boson for Cisco router, I seem to learn better with that format. I don’t have much money but if the price is right will pay for an online course, any ways I you fill that you know of a good training course can you let me know about it?

Thanks

Hi. Sorry, I don't know anything about Bosun, but doing a search seems to indicate 'expensive'? I'd try to work your way through something like:

first of all, if only to get a feel for the subject before considering laying out cash.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

The best way I have found is to download a Linux distribution, install it and then search for guides through the myriad of available websites via google. This is about as close as you can get to learning *nix on the cheap.

I agree with itsp1965. An old PC, a distribution of Linux, and a bunch of "hands on" time is priceless!

Besides web sites, there are a lot of great books out there too. Hit your local book store, or cruise Amazon. Amazon has a reviews and ratings that can help you find a great book.

If you're looking for something other than Linux, you can also download Sun's Solaris for free from their web side. There are also free versions of BSD (Berkeley Standard Distribution) UNIX available for download from various sites.

Also, a site like Tek-Tips is also great for learning. You can see the real world problems people are having, and what the solutions are.

Thanks, I am going to try out FreeDSB version. I would then go thur some of the guide online. I ultimately would like to install Nagios as a starter system admin application.

thanks

I'm more of a fan of a Solaris x86 install on a test machine. It's closer to a true UNIX. I just feel that Linux teaches a lot, but automates many of the tougher pieces of administration. While this is handy, I don't think it is as good of a learning tool. I like a baptism through fire kind of approach.

Good luck!

How much depth are you looking for?

If you are looking for intro type courses (i.e. "become a proficient user" not "able to tune and troubleshoot"), both the IEEE and ACM professional societies offer their members "no additional cost" online courses that might be worth the price of joining.

Code what you mean,
and mean what you code!
But by all means post your code!

Razalas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back