Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone know of a double paned file manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMoss

Technical User
Jan 31, 2007
US
Hi

I always liked the file manager in Windows 3.1.
It had a double pane display and you could just click a button at the top of each pane to determine what drive showed in the pane below.

You could drag the files from one drive to the other, etc.
You didn't have to scroll up and down all the time.

I have 5 drives if you count both of my CDs, so it can drive you buggy. I often open two windows and use them this way but a file manager that worked this way instantly would be nice.

Any ideas?

Mike

Turn on the folder list view

View--Explorer bar--Folders

When frustrated remember, in the computer world there is almost always a backdoor.

Hi

That's not exactly what I mean.
I guess I should have said 4 panels.

Picture each half of the screen having a complete Windows explorer with a row of buttons at the top that selects the drive that shows on that side.

You can show the same drive on each side or any combination of drives. Just like having two copies of Windows Explorer open side by side but without having to spend time arranging everything, it just opens that way.

The old Windows File Manager was still part of Windows up through Win98 if you activated it. It was always the one that I and most of my friends used.

I'm looking for something like that that works with Windows XP.

Mike

like, Why don't you try something like total comander ....

I simply could not work without Directory Opus, fantastic flexibility, masses of features and stable. I've used it for 2+ years. User support is excellent too.

Thanks for the info...

I'll check these out.

MIke

So why not still use File Manager...? I often find it much easier to use when search for files etc., than Windows Explorer.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

So why not still use File Manager...? I often find it much easier to use when search for files etc., than Windows Explorer.

Because it can be very troublesome to use, especially if you are using it a significant amount of time for typical tasks. Either Explorer or FM doesn't show certain interesting pieces of information on files, doesn't have many functions involved, and makes it very hard to do some typical tasks.

A simple example: Do I have these files in this directory on my CD I have loaded into my CD-ROM drive already? How do I do this task easily within FM or Explorer?

Hi

Is File Manager still there in Windows Explorer?
I have never found it on the other hand I just assumed that it had been eliminated.

What I really wish was that there was a way to make a macro or something that would open two copies of Windows Explorer when I click on an icon on my desktop, each one using half of the screen, all arranged the way I do it manually.

Anyone know if there is any way to do this?

I did check out free commander, it kept freezing up.
I’m going to try 2X Explorer and the other on too.

Thanks again for the help.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back