Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone know if a "RS232 (Parallel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkestrel

MIS
Sep 25, 2000
GB
Anyone know if a "RS232 (Parallel) Cable, with 25pins male sockets on both ends" is compatible with Ghost 2002 (using the LPT transfer mode). I need to use Ghost to savage data on a Windows 2000 partition on a borken hard disk.

i.e. Is that the same as a "standard LPT cable" as quoted
from 21911064025?
Open&src=&docid=1999051310014225&nsf=ghost.nsf&view=docid&d
type=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

I need to use that because CDRW drive doesn't seem to be working, and I don't have a home network or a spare desktop either (i only have a spare laptop)!

RS232 is serial, not parallel, and would usually be associated with COM ports not LPT ports

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Be very careful! You could end up with dead kit!

Male sockets both ends is *occasionally* indicative of the fact that the cable is for parallel-port use *rather* than serial.

Take care! Some of these cables don't have the full 25 cores running from end to end.

**If the cable is "one-to-one" ie pin1 goes to pin1, pin2 goes to pin2, etc., etc., up to pin25 then you have a cable that will work on either parallel or serial devices.
** If you have a cable that has eight/ten pins shorted together at each end, then it's parallel only.
** If you have a cable that only 9 or 12 pins connect through, then it's serial only.

The first and second type should work on your CDRW, the third type won't.

PaulS

PaulS
-----------
Remember!
You get what you pay for, but sometimes you pay for what you get!
-----------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back