Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone know how to upgrade from 5.8 to 5.010 on OS X? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterv12

Technical User
Dec 31, 2008
US
I'm running Perl 5.8.9 on OS X Snow Leopard, and I want to upgrade to the latest Perl, version 5.010. I've searched the web for directions, and have found none. Since I've never upgraded a Perl installation, I'd like to get directions from someone who really knows how to do it. If you know, please share :)

I'll appreciate any help.
Peter V.

Download Perl, go to a terminal, cd to the downloaded perl's directory and do i.e.

Code:
./Configure -des -Dprefix=/usr/local
make
make test
sudo make install

It will install the Perl 5.10 binary to /usr/local/bin/perl (the Perl 5.8 would still be available at /usr/bin/perl and it's recommended you don't try to overwrite this, as other programs in OS X may depend on Perl 5.8 and may break).

Look at the "INSTALL" file that comes with Perl for more info. You may have to install the developer tools from your OS X installation DVD to be able to compile C programs to build Perl.

Alternatively, has a binary port for OS X.

Kirsle.net | My personal homepage
Code:
perl -e '$|=$i=1;print" oo\n<|>\n_|_";x:sleep$|;print"\b",$i++%2?"/":"_";goto x;'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back