Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone interested in a FAQ on creating a 'quick pdf' from a text file 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

GriffMG

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
FR
I needed to create a simple PDF from a text file for a customer yesterday and ported some VB code from somewhere else.

It's just a single function with an infile and an out file - and not very pretty code (sorry).

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

You can print to a PDF printer like primoPDF.

Cetin Basoz
MS Foxpro MVP, MCP

Hi Cetin

I know you can print to a pdf printer - I use PrimoPDF a lot, it's very good. This is just a bit of native VFP code which reads a text file (.txt) and outputs a pdf version.

I was wondering if anyone else would have a use for it!

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Ok I'll try to make sense of it!

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Ah sorry, I failed to read the title. Yes sure I would be interested as well:)

Cetin Basoz
MS Foxpro MVP, MCP

I have created a FAQ here

faq184-7355

Not the prettiest bit of code...

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Martin,
I have downloaded it and after stripping out the html and then correcting the bugs I could get a working code. Bugs:
You have:

On error do usual ....

but no "usual" function. I simply removed that line. In the same function you use m.CRLF but that doesn't exist. After correction PDFWrite now looks like:
Code:
FUNCTION PDFWRITE
    PARAMETERS m.OUTFILENAME
    PRIVATE I, m.OUTFILENAME,m.STRING,m.TEMPBIT
*removed
    *ON ERROR DO USUAL WITH LINENO(),PROGRAM()
*added
    CRLF = CHR(13)+CHR(10)

m.STRING = ""
    FOR I = 1 TO ALEN(ARRDATA)
        m.TEMPBIT = ARRDATA(I)
        IF TYPE("m.tempbit") = "C" .AND. !EMPTY(m.TEMPBIT)
            m.STRING = m.STRING + m.TEMPBIT+m.CRLF
        ENDIF
    NEXT
    STRTOFILE(m.STRING,m.OUTFILENAME)
    RETURN(.T.)

I don't know if it is due or not but the conversion only works for the 1st page. Other pages are lost. Maybe it was designed for 1 page length text?

Cetin Basoz
MS Foxpro MVP, MCP

Thanks Cetin

Usual() is an error handler and you're right m.crlf is a public !

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Sorry, it assumes pages are delineated by the std chr(12).

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

All updated.

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Thanks Dave!

(can't remember when I last got a star!)

I have some more work to do on it - the xref table at the end is very much an estimate, errors in which Acrobat Reader can easily cope with, but other readers may be a bit fussier...

Still it's useful

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Thank you too

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

And... another.

boyd.gif

SweetPotato Software Website
My Blog

Thank you as well.

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

I have finally worked out how to calculate the lengths of the streams and the proper values to go in the xref block, which were not critical - as most readers ignore them.

However PDFXchange viewer flagged them as corrupt, so I have spent the time required to fix them and updated the FAQ.

Thank you for your encouragement.

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back