Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

anyone in a betting mood regarding Avaya chapter 11 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westi

Programmer
May 14, 2007
CA
I would take almost any bet that Avaya is going chapter 11 within this month again.

Any takers?

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

"Dew knot truss yore Spell Cheque

Johnhyde
you need to do what I do.
They call in for hosted issues on a phone I ask them if everyone has these problems or just some people. The answer is usually 1 or 2 people have these issues then I tell them to call their IT support to fix their network or PC. DONE

I am not spending time on this more than a quick phone call or my favourite an email.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

The problem with that approach 70% of the customers we have, we are also providing IT support.

I know is about education and telling the end users things like "do you really need 50 tabs open in the browser" as this can affect the call. "your wifi may be fine for you shopping or reading the news, but for calls it needs better stronger coverage"
But do they take note of these things - 90% don't.

We also get silly things like your headset on mute - that's why there's one way audio.

Whiles hosted is great, it does add more elements to support and the skills needed to resolve issues.

England is a tiny country with good infrastructure in (I would guess) 90% of all places where people live. North America is almost 4000 times the size of it and has places where people still don't have reliable cell service, if at all, or they are on 3G not even LTE and can only dream of 5G."

Small lose of a few decimal places. The USA is only 40 UKs. It has five times the population, so in theory 8 times the elbow-space per person. But looking at US population maps, 2 out of 3 people are within 100 miles of the one of the coast or a border of the USA*. Urban USA isn't that different from most of urban Europe - humans be humans.

(*In the UK, we're all within 75 miles of the sea.)

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Hahaha shows you what comes out when you google in a hurry.

40 times so close to my 4000 because it is only 0's :)

Thanks sizbut for clarifying this.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Avaya have got skills both on prem and in the cloud for large and small systems - but getting the mix right is the problem.

why do people say hosted causes more problems its the same as on prem for handsets and apps if req but allot more flexible and never needs expensive upgrades and does not go end of life

@hostedguru handsets go end of life and hosted services also do go EOL - Avaya containerized for example.

Calum M
ACSS

why do people say hosted causes more problems its the same as on prem for handsets and apps if req but allot more flexible and never needs expensive upgrades and does not go end of life"

So with ACO, when the internet connection is down for some reason, how does extension A call extension B? And then when not answered leave a voicemail message? Internal communication are as important as external and a lot of hosted systems are weak on that score.

Ring Centrals notes seem to rely a lot on users always using mobile devices and falling back to using the mobile network when WiFi is not available.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

thats why you have hosted the platform and the handsets are supported for as long as you have the contract. if it breaks we replace it if it becomes eol we replace or move foc

I'm in Australia and we've been doing hosted subscriptions for quite some time now. Our older techs struggle as you have to be more aware of PC requirements and understand certificates to some degree.
I did my first Avaya subscription over Starlink the other week for a rural customer about 8 hours west of Sydney, seems to be working fine. No complaints and the quality was good.
If Avaya does go bust what do you think would be a suitable replacement to sell? Considering everyone wants mobility.
I used to install NEC SVs but the diagnostics are non-existent compared to Avaya.

We install Grandstream phones
programming is ok but the use of the phone is not user friendly and the system does not have anything useful in by default so if you forget to enable it or program it that part will not work.
That includes things like the contact list etc. but at least you have apps on your cell and PC that work quite well.

Still have a love/hate relationship with the Grandstream and prefer the Avaya as you can make phone and PC apps work with Avaya.

btw. being closer to 60 than 50 I am an older tech :) hahahaha

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

"Mr. Masarek added, “We are pleased to extend, expand and enhance our partnership with RingCentral, which provides Avaya an efficient way to deliver a market-leading multi-tenanted cloud PBX offering to our customers as part of our broader suite of communications solutions. We look forward to building on the Avaya Cloud Office footprint and continuing to support the adoption of seamless cloud functionality by our global customers at a pace that meets their business needs.”

Fast Forward to company suicide

I have a lot of customers concerned about the longevity of the IP Office platform.
Avaya has buried the product line info deep into the website. Very hard to find.
They seem to be pushing the Avaya Cloud offering.
Avaya lost a ton of money with this model as the revenue is not seen upfront as is it with on premise equipment.
It will be realized over time.
Also, not every customer situation can be covered in a cloud solution. i.e. I just upgraded a Chicago 86 story building.
200+ analog stations on old wiring. Stairwell phones, garage phones etc..
Putting all your resources into one solution is a recipe for disaster. A business model that will fail.

Why does it have to be all or nothing? I see where cloud is a great solution but its not the be all end all solution.
Modern day Centrex. It's been done before.

The extended agreement with Ring Central to enhance ACO is not a threat to IP Office.

1.) The extended ACO agreement opens the door to selling Wholesale, instead of agency. This means ACO can go on Partner Paper. Partners have been asking for this.

2.)IP Office is a battle tested, on premise solution that Avaya sees as an advantage over the competition.

Avaya is has a great cloud story now, but also is one of the few enterprise class providers that will continue to provide solutions for Digital, Analog, and IP on premise.

This model is what everyone, including many in these very forums, have been asking for.

in the mean time avaya stocks are at 0.02, it will be an hard job to explain to the investors the benefits of the new business plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back