Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone Hear of a Wrapper Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCoda10

MIS
Jan 29, 2002
US
I read somewhere that in orer to install a program that uses windows installer (ie. Office 2000) you need something called a wrapper program. I have tried an install of office and it freezes up when the installer pops up. But when I did a program that did not use Windows Installer it worked perfectly! Can someone point me in the right direction, I need something that will help me set up a package without coding because I don't know how, Thanks!!!

You can do one of two things. first, try an SMS Installer package that contains this syntax:

Execute Msiexec /i <name of MSI> /qn
Msiexec.exe should be in the EXE Path and everything else in the command line. If you have something to do after the install, or if you want the user to wait until the install completes, check the 'wait' box.

Another thing you can do is distribute the MSI as your package and put the Msiexec command line as the program executable for the package. This will really be silent, and the user will see nothing, but if that's OK in your environment, try it out.

For a list of the MSI command line switches, see

I have had had to do a few MSI Setups using SMS and I also used the technique above, however I did create an admin installation point first ( /a switch ) this makes the installation fully MSI resiliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back