Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone have Eudora Mail Server Experience? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvalley

MIS
Apr 30, 2003
US
We are contemplating using Eudora Internet Mail Server for our internal and external email. We use Quickmail 2.x and find great problems with Win 2000 (and no function with XP).
We have a mixed Mac/PC company.(35 stations) I would like opinions on whether EIMS is right for us.
We will not consider Microsoft products due to cost and virus propagation.
We are in a bind as QM is crumbling beneath us.

MailEnable standard is free and works well.

Pro version is affordable and gives greater control.

Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Thanks, I have contacted MailEnable for more information. Do you have experience with other server based Email programs?

I tried another free Windows one, Argosoft, but the interface was none too friendly.

MailEnable lets you get around the AOL anti-spam feature. So if you're running a server under your ISP, normally AOL sees your server name, compares it to your ISP and rejects the message as spam. MailEnable has a Smarthost feature that allows you to present the message as coming from your ISP rather than your server, so it gets delivered to AOL users. This was a thorn in my side for months.

Newposter

I have set MailEnable up on a little used server. It was reasonably easy to set up. It took some tinkering to get messages through it (local network only). I am also comparing it to EIMS (Eudora). We had to get the mac version as there are bugs in the pc version (with Windows 2000). I find EIMS too simplistic. It is not that different than the ancient 1.0 version I have from years ago.
Do you know of a decent client email program (not Eudora or Outlook)? I only have experience with these and QuickMail.

Eudora and Outlook are the only two I've used under Windows. Netscape email works OK, although a little awkward.

Newposter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back