Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone else having a lot of trouble with Norton 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrendaR

Programmer
Jan 22, 2005
US
I have loaded Norton 2005 on Win2000.
I can no longer read my Yahoo mail without freezing my system up and having to do a hard reboot.

Norton is a memory HOG! Am having same problem when too many apps are open, that I did not have before.

ANyone else having this problem?

Yes.I'm having problems loading NIS 2005 onto Win 98. I've put out two queries but no response. Is anyone monitoring this site? I read some possibly relevant things here some months ago but now can't find them.

Yes... the problem I had was with a PC trying to do a DOS text-type print using NET USE to a print server attached to the back of a dot matrix printer. I think the print server was trying to send back an acknowledgement, because unless I turned off Norton 2005, the print queue would lock up.

I tried enabling ports, programs, etc.... with no luck. Client just opted to disable Norton when they are printing to that print server. Terrible.

This recent onslaught of spyware and viruses has got me worn out just trying to deal with the corresponding onslaught of firewalls and security measures.

I have had several issues with Norton 2005, none of which have been solved for 3 months (I've been dealing with Symantec Tech support). There was a subscription issue problem that was supposed to be fixed by a patch that Symantec released but that did not fix it. In the end, since Symantec couldn't solve the problem, I ended up dumping Norton and going to TrendMicro, which by the way allows you to do Hourly updates. It has a firewall service in it as well. I don't much care for Mcafee neither. But to each there own. Symantec needs to clean up their act fast or they are going to lose a lot of their base customers. I do still like Symantec's Mail Security for Exchange though.

I've always liked Norton and Symantec products, and the web-based support is pretty good, too... but it has always been difficult for me to get a live person at Symantec.

I've run the TrendMicro Online Scan at various clients with good results. Other clients have the licensed version and they tell me they really like it.

Never done much with McAfee...

Methinks we need to re-think/update the whole IP access concept...

I have been loading NIS 2003, 2004 & 2005 on XP SP1 and SP2, about 10% fail; invariably different hardware platforms, and sometime systems only a few months old. I have been in touch with Symantec online support who have singularly unhelpful in responding to the problem, I have also on three occasions spoken to Symantec's European support centre who also have "given up" (all workarounds fail to resolve). It appears that there must be a bug, which has been present for some time, and remains unresolved - a common symptom is that the NIS program update fails to initialise. I would have thought that Symantec would be more proactive in resolving the problem.

If I am suffering this problem within my relatively small client base, how big is the problem worldwide - Symantec must know so why aren't they coming clean? Another problem is that my clients do not pay me if the product doesnt work, nor does Symantec have any interest in compensation, so I lose out.

I suppose it is unreasonable to expect a product to be 100%, but there should be proper compensation in those sitiuations where it fails, especially where it is a relatively common problem.

We have installed a fair number of NIS 2003/2004/2005 on customer's machines over the past 2-1/2 years. The machines that seem to see the most grief are Win98 FE, and this is assuming a healthy OS/machine to start with. Although we have only been installing NIS 2005 a relatively short time in comparison, it doesn't seem to be any more problematic than the previous versions (knock on wood).

Most of the time, there seems to be some underlying problem with the MSI installer, script host or damaged Internet Exploder/system activex files that causes the installation to crater. One old Compaq Win98FE machine would run ok for a few days and then go back to the same problem - machine would hang on bootup. In the end, the customer bought a new machine and all was well after that.

Having said all of that, it seems that the NAV/NIS installer is weak - it doesn't identify potential problems, just goes ahead and tries to install, and sometimes it takes many hours to straighten out the mess, as it gets into a state where you can't reinstall or uninstall.

I agree with the poor marks given Symantec tech support. I haven't used the live person approach except for activation issues, since they want to charge for everything else. Their email support is pretty mediocre. There is a lot of info in their knowledge base, which is more than I can say for McAfee, but the search function is weak - too many false positives and no good way to filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back