Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone configure a MultiTech MultiVOIP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobragb

IS-IT--Management
Dec 22, 2004
US
I have a remote building with a fiber network running to the main building. The only thing I need there is an analog extension for the occasional outbound call, fax or a modem connection for the PC. I don't want to run a phone line out there because of the distance and cost. And since I already have the network and IPOffice installed I am looking for a IP device to handle the simple analog phone issues.

I recently read about the MultiTech MultiVOIP device and wondered if it would meet my needs. Here is a link to the press release:
Has anyone used this device with success in my scenario?

TIA,
Glen

Does anyone know of any way to have an IP analog extention?

The multitech is nice, but I don't know if it works with IP Office. I've used them quite a bit with Definity.

With those devices like the Multitech or a Cisco ATA 188 you can make speech calls over VoIP but faxes and modems don't work over VoIP.
Faxes are using the T.38 protocol wich is not supported yet in IP Office, modems cannot be used over a VoIP connection.
Release 3.0 promises T.38 support for faxes.
You do need a thirth party H.323 license for it to work at all.

A little update...., I installed the MVP130FXS.

1. It worked flawlessly for voice. I connected an analog phone to it without any issues. AFTER, I added the 3rd party IP license.

2. I replaced the analog phone with my laptop modem line and dialed my local ISP. It works! It's slow (28k bps), but it works.

3. I am working on the fax now.

Glen

@cobragb

Does call-hold and call-transfer work without any issues??

I have fax working on Micronet SP5002/5004. It works when "Fax-transport" is disabled, and compression is set to G711.

cobragb - how did it turn out with the MVP130FXS? Do I understand your post correctly in that it only worked AFTER you installed the 3rd party IP license to your IP Office?

Anything you can share regarding how you configured the MVP130FXS on the IP Office would be most helpful. Thx

Erik

What about connecting an analog trunk instead of station?
eg FXO

Sorry, I haven't had much time lately.

But yes, I had to add the 3rd party IP license.

All I did on the IPOffice is create an extension and user. The extension references the IP address of the MultiVoIP. Then I was able to call from the analog phone connected to the 130. I was able to dial out with my laptop via the modem too. I did hook up the fax machine and was able to send a fax. The only problem I am having is I can't get the fax/phone to ring when I dial the associated extension. But, I haven't had time to play with it either. I am sure I am missing something simple. I think I may need to add an IP Route for the IPO to be able to find the the MultiVoIP?

The call-hold and call-transfer work although the settings are configured in the MultiVoIP.

I'll try to get back on it next week.

cobragb - did you ever figure out how to get an incoming call to the mvp130FXS?

I am curious too as I will have the same situation in 6 months when the building is completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back