Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone administered a Mitel switch before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgiw

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2008
US
How hard was it to learn to administer the Mitel versus the Avaya for those of you who have done both? Did you have to take formal training or learn on your own?

Is the Mitel easy to support or does it require regular maintenance activites and if so, how often?

What is the most recent brand of the Mitel PBX system? I tried to look at the Mitel website to find information on administration but all of their documents are locked down with login/passwords of customers or users. I'm wondering if anyone could share a couple of administration pages of a manual with me so I can get a flavor for it versus the Avaya Communication Manager which is what I manage now?
Thanks.

What type of voicemail are you administering on Avaya?

AAM? MM? CMM/IA770/Old Audix? other?

We use both Mitel and Avaya. I must admit Avaya is easier to use with basic common sense commands. The latest Mitel is model 3300, which has a variety of menus for both experienced and beginners. The terminology is different to the Avaya Definity system, but you pick it up through trial and error. For example Features keys are called Multi-lines on the Mitel. As far as ours go, they have been quite resilient for small office and basic queuing, but not so hot when rolled out for a call centre solution. The bolt on 6100 package for stats etc is quite good but no match to CMS.

Mitel is rather easy. Mitel does everything via a Web GUI. There aren't any commands to enter. You can use CLI, but it's more or less for troubleshooting only. You couldn't program a phone or trunk via CLI, you need to use the Web GUI.

To program a feature on a key, you go into the user's form, bring up key assignments, select the key and assign the feature. The features are listed alphabetically.

A Multi Calls (not Multi Line) is what you assign when a user want's a second (or more) line. You assign a Multi Call to each key. For example, if you want 5x lines, you need to program 4x keys with Multi Call. Since your main line (prime) is already present, you would only need 4x Multi Calls.

A 3300 is a gateway - similar to a G350. You can run MCD (Mitel Communications Director) on a gateway (3300), or you can run MCD on VMware or a standard IBM, HP or Dell server. Most customers today elect to run it on VMware as it's easier to migrate, backup and vmotion.

In my opinion, Mitel has the same features as Avaya Aura, but it's easier to program with Mitel as it's all graphical. That's only my opinion however.

Documentation is locked down on their eDocs site, however your Mitel dealer can get it for you.

I think TheMitelGuy may need glasses as the form is called Multiline Set Key Assignment. There is no such form as Multi Calls [lol]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back