Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anybody using Networker 6.1.3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoshiachNow

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2002
IL
Hi,

Is anybody using already Networker 6.1.3 ?
If yes - any problems so far ? "Long live king Moshiach !"

Hi,

Our production server is a Solaris 8 box, with a DLT
Jukebox is running wiyhout any problem.

/Cia

Yes for almost 3 months.

HP-UX server, STK tape robots with STK 9840B tape drives.

Much more stable than previous releases (knock...knock on wood).

Dale

Since our upgrade to 6.1.3 we have one client that now likes to repeatedly backup the same saveset over and over again. It was found that the nsrmmdb databases were damaged, though even after the repair we are still having issues.. Soluion has not presented itself yet...

we have all clients and servers an 6.13.
AIX(client),SUN Solaris(client+server),W2k(client),WNT(client)

all fine, no problems.

cyberted

6.1.3 on solaris 8 attached via LIBSTATION to an stk-9310 silo. no networker problems at all. knock on wood

djandruczyk, Do you have the error in the daemon.log, "RPC Error: Unable to receive" at the completion of that saveset that repeats?

I have one client that does this repeatedly, but not every day. Every time it happenes, I get this error message. I have had a ticket open with support for months on it, but they can't figure it out.

An 'RPC Error: Unable to receive' is usually indicative of a network problem. This is not a Legato NetWorker generated error, but rather a communication problem between the NetWorker server and that client.

6.1.3 on solaris 8 attached via LIBSTATION to an stk-9310 silo. no networker problems except some of our pre 5.5 clients needed to get upgraded. knock on wood

I am Networker 6.1.3 Solaris 9 server, Clients from NT, Win 2000, HP 11 (a HP problem with gethostbyname causing Legato errors). Solaris clients, Linux (Slackware and Redhat).

Applied the following patches so far
LGTpa43071
LGTpa43607

Also have a problem with nsrjb hang up's that Leagto is working on VERY slowly.

Ed Skolnik Ed Skolnik
The Interpublic Group Of Companies, Inc.
GIS Chicago System Administrator
Chicago, Illinois 60611

Ed,

We're seeing hangs at our location too. Solaris 8 server running Networker 6.1.3 with NT, Win2K, Solaris, Netware, and HP clients. The hangs we've had have been during cloning. The clone tapes don't seem to unmount from the drives. If we turn off cloning or reduce the number of clones, the hangs almost disappear.

Our tech support vendor has opened a ticket with Legato Tech Support. Glad to know it's not just us with hang problems. We thought Networker 6.1.3 would fix a lot of our problems, but it hasn't so far.

Kate Congdon

Serbtastic, can you clarify what you mean by a networking error? I have had this error on two different NetWorker servers running both NT4 and 2000 and ONLY with NetWare clients. Yes, this is a communication error message, but it is being generated by NetWorker so it is thier problem. I do not have this problem with any other software.

It could be a firewall issue also. Don't be too quick to blame it on Networker...... Ed Skolnik
Chicago, Illinois 60611

***** FYI Kcongdon *********
This particular issue (nsrjb clone hang) is not being actively worked by engineering at this time. It is in their priority list, although a bit down as a result of higher priority issues being worked by them. I have asked for details as to when I could expect them to focus their efforts here, but have not received a response yet. I know you understand the limits of engineering resources to respond to a finite number of issues at any given time. I will update you as soon as possible.

Maybe if you bug your support folks it will help move the issue up on the list.

ed

Ed Skolnik
Chicago, Illinois 60611

HI,

We had hanging on clones on Networker 6.02.

With 6.1.3 it seems to go away,moreover the speed of the cloning is up from 3MB/S to 14 MB/S on AIT3. "Long live king Moshiach !"

Ed,

From what we've been told, Legato Tech Support was able to reproduce the cloning problem. The Legato programmers in Canada have not been able to reproduce the problem and their network connection to Tech Support is too slow to see what's happening.

We're applying what pressure we can. Our current workaround is to turn off all cloning on the weekend and run a reduced set of clones during the week.

Kate Congdon

Ed,

I am not sure about your source for information on the legato issue, but Engineering at legato is actively working on this, and a prelimary fix/effrot is underway. We will be glad to post the results once we have them.

mkeane
Venodr

If Legato is able to reproduce the cloning hanging in 6.1.3
can someone post the LGTpa number they give you?

rmaiello

**** Mkkeane ***

I was just told today that engineering can finally reproduce the problem today, after talking again with Tech support.

"I understand that George left you a detailed message a bit ago. Advising that engineering is able see the problem, and that they are currently working on it. George or I will keep you well informed, and hopefully resolution will come quickly."

Regards

Tech Support Manager Legato Systems Ed Skolnik
Chicago, Illinois 60611

*********** FYI **** Mkkeane ***

-----Original Message-----
From: legato-sys@legato.com [mailto:legato-sys@legato.com]
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 3:15 PM
To: eskolnik
Subject: Regarding Case Number 3042030

FR: gphilip

3042030 NSRJB hang

Ed,

This is George from Legato Systems regarding the above case.

We have reproduced the problem and Engineering is testing it . I will keep you posted once i get an update from Engg.

Thanks
George Ed Skolnik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back