Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anybody know how to block MSN Messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddman33

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2005
US
Hey all,

I'm having a tough time trying to block msn messenger on our network. I have blocked every port but 80 and it still works. Has anyone had any luck?

Doyou have any content filtration installed? What kind of firewall do you use?

The only way I found to block MSN on FW's which don't have policies is to block the ports listed for MSN and block IP address of all msn services.

There are a LOT of ip address that msn will try to use.

207.68.172.237 is one i'm using at the moment so blocking 207.68.X.X should stop that.

Next try conencting again and if it's differnt try blocking all of the range of the ip that allowed you to conenct with.

Use netstat -a to help you.

Also try blocking 64.4.X.X

Yes, you're blocking a lot of IP's but a large percentage of them belong to microsoft or MSN's wide network of stoof.

Hi MadanB,

I have a Dlink Router that has the options to block ports and IP addresses. So since it's Microsoft there must be hundreds of IP's to block. Do you know if there's a list. You'd think Microsoft would give administrators a little bit more control of their software.

Try to block port 1863 TCP/UDP !

It's working for me !

Msn connect to this port every time it start !

Download active ports (download.com) and watch the new connections when you start MSN

Unfortunately, I have had no luck. When I blocked all the ports but 80. Messenger will default to 80. The URL's are endless, everytime I block one it will just use another one. Bill Gates wins, this is taking way toooo much of my time.

Like i say you can block the exe in active directory if you have it, it should only take a couple of mins.

Hey Porkchop,

It's a great suggestion don't get me wrong, but just not applicable to my situation. We have quite a few laptops that have XP home on them.

What level users do you have on your systems? If they're running as Admins, drop them down to the power user/user group and change the access rights on the messenger .exe. I don't know that Home has that capability, but if it doesn't you can always move/remove the .exe and with them lacking administrator privileges they'll be unable to re-install it.

I think Appkiller could work quite well in your situation, otherwise you're stuck with the firewall option that doesn't always work. Interestingly tho MS ISA server seems able to block MSN.

It is possible to block msn throu group policy. Look throughout your group policy, there are some policies specially made for the use of msn in the domain, if you are using w2k3. I think that may help you block msn messenger.
Goog luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back