Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

any way to zero fill the account numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jymm

Programmer
Apr 11, 2002
US
don't roll your eyes on this one like I did... ;)

we recently changed our GL account structure. It now has a segment on the end that is zero filled (and some times the segment before that is also all zeros).

What the folks in accounting want to do is just tab through the field and have something magically put the zeros in. I asked them to simply hold down the zero key and that seems to have them off my back for a little while anyway.

Anyone know of a 3rd party app (or a setting in GP) that would automatically zero fill account numbers when they are entering payables (for example)?

Maybe an easy question, but have they set up default accounts so they don;t have to enter accounts in payables. As for the zero fill, which accounts would you do this for? If they have all zeros say for all P&L accounts vs Balance Sheet accounts, you could VB a program that would play off a lost focus on segment 1 then if Segment1 >39999 (if the last BS account is 39999) then fill in the segment on focus and continue to the next.

I don't like this option though because it sets a rule. If they didn't really need the segments except for a couple of accounts there would probably have been better options.

Could they start using account aliases? This would speed up entry for commonly used codes. If there are a large number of alises then the aliases could be integrated in to save time.

childofnight

I like that idea - Accounting has never really used the alias feature so maybe this is a 'learning opportunity'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back