Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any way to save a password for an ODBC DSN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradW

IS-IT--Management
Nov 30, 2000
US
Good afternoon,

I have connections to SQL Server 2003 from Crystal 2008 using a standard Windows (some clients on XP some on 7) ODBC SQL system DSN. Some users want to be able to save their password in addition to their user name. I'm well aware of the security issues involved here and will control their PC through a policy that invokes the screen saver lock with password in a relatively short time frame for inactivity. Is there a way to save the password in addition to the user name in this circumstance?

Thanks in advance for all help!

I do not know of a way without using another piece of software (Crystal Entprise, Crystal viewer(s), custom app).

Thanks Kray and Ido!

Unfortunately, Ido, the folks doing this are developing reports so they need native Crystal. I had never heard of a way to save the ODBC password for Crystal, although I know that there are great viewers and other utilities for Crystal that do have this functionality!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back