Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any way to remove a leading zero from a certain field in every record?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTilson

Programmer
Jul 14, 2004
US
I have to import daily payroll hours reports from the payroll department into my database every day in order to calculate each employees efficiency for the previous day. The trouble is that in my database, employee ID numbers are 3 digit "strings." Ex: 020, 041, 116, 291, etc etc... But the report from payroll has them stored as 4 digit strings. Ex: 0020, 0041, 0116, 0291. Is there any way other than simply changing each record manually to take off the leading zero on all the 4 digit employee ID codes?

Thanks! Any help is appreciated.

Brooks Tilson
Database Development
Tilson Machine, Inc.

i wouldn't bother changing the data that comes in daily, i would simply do the join like this --
Code:
select foo
     , bar
  from employees
inner
  join payroll
    on employees.id
     = substring(payroll.id,2,3)

rudy
SQL Consulting

oops, microsoft access

replace substring(payroll,2,3) with mid(payroll,2,3)

rudy
SQL Consulting

Build a query from the payroll table then put the below expression in your query. I assume you know where to put it.

Code:
Right([Employee ID],3)

Good Luck

Hi,

Great answers, I must remember them!

You might want to update your database to 4 digit as the payroll dept are obviously anticipating employee numbers exceeding 999, at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back