Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any way to release a report dll without rebooting the server? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfoot

Programmer
May 4, 1999
US
I created a report with VB and compiled it to a dll that's called from an ASP page. When I need to replace the DLL, the system will not let me replace it with out a reboot.

Any ideas?

Yes. I got it working fine. Thanks a million. I'm using component services, and it's a dream come true.

I do however sometimes have a file that one of my salespeople upload thru FTP that get's stuck (can't delete or move) in my FTP server.

In this case I have to reboot the server, but it's not very often.

What FTP service are you using? *hopes the answer isn't IIS* MS's FTP server is simply awful.

Glad it's working for you. :)

IIS. And why is it awful? We are not having any problems with it except that if a file is being uploaded at the same time my program is trying to pull it off the queue, the file get's stuck and I have to reboot the server.
:)
What problems have you heard about?

Oh, it's just a personal preference thing. IIS's ftp has extremely limited functionality compared to pretty much all other FTP servers. And having grown up in a UN*X world where FTP can do _anything_, it just annoys me. :)

You should have the uploads go to a temporary directory and then replace the original only after the transfer is done. Or is that what you're doing? (That way, the file system, which is much more robust than FPT, has to handle synchronization, which it does quite well.)

0k, keep talking. How does the file system know it's done?
Or maybe that's what you're talking about that W2k can not do?

I'd like to know more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back