Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any way to Convert an 11 .rpt file back to 8.5??

Status
Not open for further replies.

daguas

Technical User
Jul 8, 2004
US
I have a report that was written in Crystall 11, I need to run it in a program that can only use the Crystall 8.5 .dlls. Any Ideas?

Greetings! Untested -- have you not tried to open the CR XI version report in CR 8.5?

Most time it will give a screen-pop:

“This report was created with a version of Crystal Reports which is later than the version you are running. Some features used in the report may not be supported.”

Thanks

James Keep, PMP
Crystal Reports(tm) Certified Consultant 8.5 (CRCC)
Authorized Crystal Engineer (ACE)
CMRC
Crystal Decisions Business Partner
Montreal, Qc, Canada

Thanks for the quick response. When I have tried that, it pops 2 errors, first "failed to open docuement", then "invalid report version" so I cannot open the 11.rpt file at all in 8.5.

From BO KB:

Symptom
Are you able to open a report created with Crystal Reports XI in previous versions of Crystal Reports?

Resolution
You are able to open a report created with Crystal Reports XI in some previous versions of Crystal Reports. For example:

• Crystal Reports 10 and 9 can open a report created with Crystal Reports XI. However, new functionality from Crystal Reports XI may not be available in Crystal Reports 10 and 9.

• Crystal Reports 8.5 and lower versions cannot open a report created with Crystal Reports XI. Attempting to do so results in the following error message:

"Failed to open document"

James Keep, PMP
Crystal Reports(tm) Certified Consultant 8.5 (CRCC)
Authorized Crystal Engineer (ACE)
CMRC
Crystal Decisions Business Partner
Montreal, Qc, Canada

No known way. The main reason is the change to UNICODE from 8.5 to 9.

- Ido

Visual CUT & DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Thank you all, thats what I figured, but was hoping there was a workaround somewhere so I could aviod redoing this report in 8.5. O well.

Note that you can save time by cut-and-paste for formulas. Or at least their code: whether or not the formulas themselves would transport, I've no idea.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

note above: 9 & 10 can open XI, and 8.5 can open 9 & 10? perhaps open the XI report in 9 or 10, save it, then try to open the saved report in 8.5?

I have not tried this, but it's worth a shot if you happen to have several versions of CR laying around.

Hardjeans: I don't see anyone stating that CR 8.5 opens CR 9 and 10, it doesn't.

The key is as Ido stated, the file structures and processing changed radically to allow for Unicode.

-k

Oh okay, thanks for the info. I guess I read to far into this statement:
"Crystal Reports 8.5 and lower versions cannot open a report created with Crystal Reports XI."

It probably should say:
"Crystal Reports 8.5 and lower versions cannot open a report created with Crystal Reports 9 or higher versions."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back