Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any way to batch run a set of reports on demand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djmnyc

Programmer
Oct 23, 2003
US
Hi guys.

I am using Crystal Enterprise 9.0.

I have a problem I was hoping some of you have experienced yourselves, and solved in the past. I already searched the forums here, and the web, but can not find a solution.

I have a requirement to batch run a set of 20 or so reports each night after a certain DB update occurs. I solved this requirement by chaining the 20 reports together with schedule events. The schedule is kicked off when a file event is received on the crystal event server. Once this file event is received, the first report in the batch is run. Once it is complete it fires a schedule event indicating it is complete. The second report is pending, waiting for this schedule event to trigger itself to run. This is repeated until all the reports in the batch are run.

This works well for the most part ... but there are occasions where this daisy-chain process fails. When this happens, I need to manually run the reports one by one.

Is there any way I can batch run these 20 reports on demand, without using scheduling and events?

Thanks very much for your help.
Dan

Crystal Enterprise 10 allows you to create Report Packages. You could scheduled all of these reports together as a package. You can even share parameters between reports. Lastly, an indidual report within the package may fail, but it won't cause others to fail.

~Kurt

Oh wow. That is great news! I will see what our license allows as far as upgrades.

Thanks!
Dan

Do the reports need to run in sequence? Why don't you just base all of them on the same file event? The Report server will limit the number of reports run concurrently according to your setting of Maximun Jobs Allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back