Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any Way to Add to Multiple Task Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex20850

Programmer
Mar 28, 2003
US
I work with a group of database administrators that I put together a project plan for database migrations or for software updates. We have multiple servers and multiple environments on each server. For servers A, B, C, D, and E and *each* server is going to have Dev, Test and Production for a total of 15 server-environment combinations, that is A-Dev, A-Test, A-Prod, B-Dev, etc.

Let's say I then put together a list of 10 tasks that needs to be done for each of the 15 combinations. I add the 10 tasks for each of the 15 combinations and then upon review by the DBA, they discover that step 8 should be deleted and another five tasks are to be added. I have to go to each of the 15 combinations deleting and adding. Then, a week later something else will come up and another set of tasks will need to be added or deleted to each of the server-environment combinations.

Is there a better way to do this?

I found a solution to my own question.
1. Export the project to Excel. Make sure to include all the columns that you have updated.
2. In Project, add a column for sorting. Numbers are usually better.
3. Add tasks in the list or below it. If you need to add tasks between numbers 20 and 21, add tasks with numbers between 20 and 21 such as 20.1,20.2,etc.
4. Sort the list by the numbers before you import back into Project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back