Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

any tricks to increase file sharing transfer speed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacklow

ISP
May 19, 2007
IL
as for now I'm using win xp sp2 with Nvidia network card
my Network Utilization shows i'm using 80% ( this was improved from 62% by disabling some of the NIC features like "Raw control" "optimize for troughput" etc )

the question is..if it is possible to make it even faster ?

1. Make sure you’re logged in as “Administrator” (not just any account with admin privileges).
2. Navigate to START>Run and type: gpedit.msc
3. Navigate to Local Computer Policy > Administrative Templates > Network > QOS Packet Scheduler
4. In the right window, double-click the limit reservable bandwidth setting
5. On the setting tab, check the enabled setting.
6. Where it says “Bandwidth limit %”, change it to read 0 (or whatever percentage you want to reserve for high priority QoS data)
7. Click OK, close gpedit.msc

Under START > My Computer > My Network Connections > View Network Connections, right-click on your connection and under Properties (where it lists your protocols), make sure QOS Packet Scheduler is enabled.

You need to reboot for changes to take effect.

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

thanks but i don't see any improvement ..
still on 80%

is there something else ?

The only other way, that I know of, to gain speed is to go for 1gig connection...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

80% is actually pretty good; I wonder how you are measuring this? If using task manager that app itself imposes a fair amount of system overhead, and unless you are running a dual processor setup it may hog enough CPU cycles to impede network performance, especially at high sample rates and high network speeds (gigabit). The same applies to perfmon.

If you are measuring using file transfer, then caching, virtual memory and disk contention may figure in.

Other factors may be the network itself, especially the switch, and if you are measuring data transfer to a server or another workstation there may be network contention, server contention or server side bottlenecks causing latency.

Really the only way to know for sure is via a network analyzer to see the true data rate on the network.

Jock

80% utilization?
You will never get to 100% util on a NIC. I don't think that inaccurate counter in task manager shows all the overhead, which can eat up 25% by itself.
A 100Mb network connection will never run at 100Mb, more like 70-80Mb, if you're lucky.

blacklow,
The measurement for network utilization doesn't show what I think you think it shows! This article helps explain that:

Imagine we have a tool that monitors a wire for 1 minute every hour. That tool reports that your "Utilization" is 42%.

That means that for the one minute every hour--that your wire is monitored--for that one minute ONLY-- it is 100% utilized. In other words--42% of those polls showed 100% (rather than 0%) utilization-for 1 minute per hour.

Instead of focusing on utilization, I think a better test for you would be to transfer a large file (around 100MB or so) across the network from one PC to another. Time it. Do the same test on several more large files of different sizes. Also switch the direction of transfer swapping the source and destination. Get a good average MB/sec measurement.

With the overhead taken into account, a typical 100Mbps ethernet connection will transfer data at 9-11 MB per second. Factors like hard drive fragmentation & speed, traffic on the switch, quality of cable, length of cable, etc., all play a role in the results. If you are anywhere in that range, then you are getting the most out of that connection. A gigabit connection can transfer over 100MB/sec, but realize that most hard drives rarely average more than 50MB/sec.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back