Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any suggestions on a new server for SCO OS 5.0.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilot1

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2001
US
I am the lucky one appointed to acquire a new server to run Open Server 5.0.4 . I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with certain hardware they would like to suggest. Two applications run on this platform, character based, email, and full suite of service applications. We have approximately 65 users. We also use Facetterm to allow almost all of the 65 users to run 5 windows. I am more interested in SCO compatibility, and performance issues. Any Ideas!!??

Pilot1

Had good results with HP equipment (netservers?) over the last 3 years. Only 3 but flawless till now except for one hard drive in a raid array. the other stuff I've done has been with FIC motherboards , digi multiport cards , siig pci scsi, and generic everything else. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

We use Compaq servers for our SCO Openserver 5.0.5 - machines.
Compaq hardware are very well supported and you can/should download Compaq utilities to monitor the server from within the OS. That is always welcome.
The Servers have had very little downtime for the past 4-5 years.

On one machine we have aprox. 130 users, Since it is a databse server the main performance-issue is disc I/O.
The cpu (pIII 450) uses around 15% of it's capacity.
/Sören

I'll add Dell just for giggles. That's all I've installed for my clients' servers for several years now. The thing you will have to be careful is that 5.0.4 is a few years old and may not support some of the newer technologies. 5.0.5 has worked on the PowerEdge servers so far.

HP Netservers, definitely. I have installed a number of these over the last few years. Several were with 504. The only problem I have had was with a tape drive in one machine.

Not to put down Compaqs, but I find them to be a little to proprietary for my tastes. I have one ML350 that is less than a year old and it has already taken out 2 power supply's. I have found this is not unusual for this particular model.

Thanks;
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back