Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any shortcut opens the same program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwynne

MIS
Sep 20, 1999
US
I have a user that no matter what shortcut she opens from her desktop or from Start/Programs, it opens the same program.  I have looked at the registry and according to Microsoft, all settings are correct. It appears to be in the *.lnk files, but even creating a new short cut doesn't correct it.  I'm sure she has changed her file associations or file types, but do not know how to correct the error.    

Does her register look like this ????<br><br>REGEDIT4<br><br>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk]<br>@=&quot;lnkfile&quot;<br>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk\ShellNew]<br>&quot;Command&quot;=&quot;RunDLL32 AppWiz.Cpl,NewLinkHere %1&quot;<br>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk\ShellEx]<br>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]<br>@=&quot;{500202A0-731E-11d0-B829-00C04FD706EC}&quot;<br><br>

Thanks chgwhat, but the registry looks the same.&nbsp;&nbsp;I guess the next thing is reinstalling NT. Huh?

Ey Gwynne:<br>The program she is trying open is a DOS program?<br>If so goto PIF folder and delete the file relationed and run it again. Another option is to delete the file association under Explorer options (file type), find the file`s extension and remove it from system (be sure to keep another information of this file type, such which program open it and so on).<br>

Did you try to mannually force the <b>.lnk</b> file to point to the appropriate program?<br><br>ex:<br>right click &quot;myshortcut.lnk&quot;<br>select properties<br>locate the target box and change accordingly? <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>You Show me your code, I'll show you mine. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back