Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any SDLT users out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc64

MIS
Nov 9, 2001
US
We're considering upgrading our DLT7000 drives & changers to SDLT or LTO or AIT-3. Anybody with experience with SDLT. A few months back I heard some horror stories about high failure rates.

We have had to have an SDLT unit changed 5 times now (server was purchased 5 months ago), tapes are constantly getting caught in the unit (Dell Powervault 110), we are told by Dell tech support that the leader arm on the unit keeps dropping, I have seen the inside of the unit and can see that the mechanism is to flimsy for to give us any reliability, we have been told that LTO is the way to go....

What did you decide to do ?

Regards
LMaher

So far we haven't made a commitment. We're still doing research. But we are leaning away from SDLT. Thanks for the reply.

I would definitely steer clear of SDLT for a while. I'm one of the people dealing with the nightmare of having invested a lot of money in an SDLT backup solution. I've experienced a high percentage of media failures in the little over 6 months that I've been using SDLT technology. I'm talking about the physical media, not the drive itself, though I suspect the drive may be causing the media to fail. Incidentally, I've had the drive replaced once already as the result of a lost leader. All in all, I've had 10 out of 35 cartridges go bad, most of these have had fewer than 20 passes. My backup unit is a Compaq MSL5026SL and when it works, it's pure brilliance. Unfortunately, I have these sporadic failures with the media. So, if you're looking for reliability, I would not recommend SDLT.

Been working with a Compaq msl5026sl for about six months now. Haven't had many errors until recently. Every now and then I will get a bad tape and arcseve will display it as <updating> in the console. I have had several issues with tapes going bad, roughly eight out of 100, so I must be a little lucky.
We were using arcserve, still are, but tried to swithc to Netbackup and the issues of drives failing and media going bad increased. Don't know if is it the library or software.
I switched back to arcserve, and rarely have had any problems. When the sdlt drives are going, the backups are smooth and quick. I can roughly backup our DB servers (400 gig) in about 8 hours.
Definite improvement over Dlt, considering the sdlt tapes we have compress to 200 gigs per tape.

Hope this helps

We purchased the Quantum SDLT 220 in July of 2001. Today I returned it for the fifth time. The tapes get stuck in the drive. When I get them out, the drive no longer works. I would definately stay away from the SDLT.

Does any one know of a better technology at a comparable price. We are using Backup exec V8

We are running a Dell PowerVault 128T SDLT. Yes me too. Media failures. I have 5 bad out of 40 Quantum and Maxell (I think they come out of the same factory). I am starting to run a long erase on new tapes so I can determine if we are receiving them bad or is it after usage.

sjtoomey@hotmail.com

5 Months, 4 drives on two Compaq MSL5026 changers...

I just bought a Quantum 3520L library and have some success with it, but I find the docs lacking. I installed the library ok and then went on to install BENT 8.6 on an existing server (which took 6 reboots). If I do a small backup, say 5 GB or so, everything is ok, but as soon as I do a 100Gb backup, I get media errors, I have tried new tapes, different slots, etc, but always the same result. And I can't figure out how to login to the web interface, I set the administrator password to 123456 to keep it simple even. The docs are terrible. Does anyone have any insite into the security on the web interface? I have to start somewhere, and I was going to check the tape error logs first, but I can't because of the stupid login password. AARGH!!!!

BTW. I thought that a 16 slot, 220Gb/tape library was overkill until I realized that I can keep almost 6 months of incremental data online. Don't be cheap and buy a single tape unit. If you job depends on data recovery, the one time you need to restore some important data, either you can't find the tape it's on, and when you do, the tape will be blank. Been there, not doing that again....

Hi,

we bought 2 months aga a ATL M1500 with a extension unit and 2 SDLT220 drives. As backup software we use Legato NetWorker. The combination works fine except the licensing of legato.
No problems til now.

Have a nice week
Stefan

Hello all,
We purchased our Compaq msl5026sl last year under pressure to form a possible partnership with Compaq. This is by far the worst tape unit I have worked with in 12 years of doing IT. I have had every problem listed on this forum, and more. Thank goodness no partnership ever occured.

Since it was flaky and we have about 4 TB to backup, we expanded and moved most of our non-enterprise data to a StorageTEK L80 with 2 SDLT drives. No problems with the drive or any media in them. And I do mean no problems, ever.

This would suggest that it is the cheap or shoddy equipment which causes media failures.

Just goes to show that if you try to save a few bucks, your gonna probably get screwed. I would recommend storageTek to anyone.

We still are using the compaq, but every month or so it goes into spasms for a week, then all symptoms mysteriously disappear.

Just my $0.02

caveat emptor - Buyer beware.

FWIW, I started this thread months ago about our choice between SDLT & LTO. Based on research and feedback from this forum, we chose an Overland LTO changer about 3 months ago. It has worked flawlessly ever since.

I have 3 SDLT Dell Powervault 110T on Dell Servers. I have spoke to Dell Tech and they it is the tapes. Out of 40 tapes 20 were returned. Tape read errors. I seem to get these on every new batch of tapes. I would not recommend the Dell PV110T or SDLT

Hi all, new to this site, not sure if this is the correct place...anyone ever have problems with SDLT's that report a capacity of 7.99EB and if so, how do you correct this?

Thanks,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back