Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any problems working in VS 2005 with a project made in VS 2003?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mondi

Programmer
Sep 10, 2003
AL
Hello everybody!
I was wondering if there should be any problems working with a project made in Visual Studio 2003 from Visual Studio 2005. I had Visual Studio 2003 installed and now I want to install Visual Studio 2005. But I am affraid to do it because maybe I will have to make changes to my project. And this project is pretty big, so maybe it won't be worth installing VS 2005. At the beginning I had Visual Studio 2003 installed and after I installed VS 2003, I didn't have any problems with my projects. I simply converted them to work in Visual Studio 2003. Maybe is the same even for Visual Studio 2005?
Thanks in advance for any answers!

Country of eagles

Try instlaling VS 2005. You can run VS 2003 and VS 2005 side-by-side so if there is a problem with converting that is too big/takes too much time to fix at this time, you still have VS 2003 installed hence you can still work on your project :)

VS 2005 will convert your project when you first open it, so to be safe take a backup first. If everything works you can keep working in VS 2005 but if there are problems you'll still be able to open the backup in VS 2003.

Regards

Nelviticus

Yes thanks guys, actually I installed Visual Studio 2005, and at least up to now everything seems to be quite OK.
Hope I won't have any problems with it. However I installed Visual Studio 2005 not in the same pc where I have VS 2003, just in case..
Thanks for your answers

Country of eagles

You can have several versions of VS installed at the same time and they happily live alongside each other. My machine at work has VB6.0, VS2002, VS2003 and VS2005. They don't interfere with each other at all.

Regards

Nelviticus

I have VS2003 and VS2005 installed on the same machine without any problems. One of the cool things is, if you double-click on a .sln file to open it, Windows knows which version of VS to open it with!

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back