Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any problems installing SMS Client on ws with Novell WS Mgr on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigus

MIS
Mar 5, 2003
US
Has anyone seen any problems having SMS on a workstation that runs the Novell Client (4.9.1) with workstation manager turned on? I want to make sure before I try this.

Backstory......

I have been tasked with the implementation of SMS 2003 in our enterprise (around 300 servers and 3000 workstations).

Currently these workstations are being managed by Novell's ZenWorks. We use Zenworks to push out software and other changes to the desktops. We don't use it on the servers.

So, SMS is supposed to take the place of Zenworks but in a very slow, meticulous manner. I am not to remove the workstation manager piece from the desktops until we are used to doing things through SMS.

Unfortunately SMS 2003 and Novell are not supported at all (far as I know)

NOooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

You're kidding me right?

And what do you mean "Novell"? You mean as in even using the Netware Client for login?

This could be very bad for me.......

Ohhhh, I see what you're talking about now.. I think that's just saying that I can't run SMS on a Netware Server..

I just have the Netware Client loaded on the Windows 2000 workstations so that they can log into Novell which also includes the workstation manager piece of said client....

That's what I was looking for!!

Thanks!! I really appreciate all the links.. So basically they don't recoimend it but people have done it with no issues during their transition which is exactly what I'm intending to do.. Once I have all the functionality working in SMS that we are using ZenWorks for then Zen goes away...

IPX= not an issue.. we don't use any IPX on our network.. Novell is running pure IP.

Thanks again!!!

Prodigus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back