Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

any motherboard troubleshooting software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2001
US
hi all,

i have reason to believe that one of the RAM slots is failing on my motherboard. before i take it to the shop though, i'd like to see if there were any utilities out there that i could use to see if this is truly the case.
any help will be much appreciated!

thanks!
rich

you could use google to find "memtest", that will test your ram memory, but i imagine if your slot is bad then memtest will say that the ram is bad also, possibly.
then you can swap ram, put it in the same suspected bad slot and run memtest again. If memtest says the ram is bad and you know its good then that may prove your theory.

Its free so maybe worth a shot?

hi, you could try tufftest, which is supposed to do a diagnostic on the PC, inc h/d, ram, etc. There is a free version and a pro version

Do a search on google for tufftest,

regards

hello,

download this Ram tester from this website:
(Put the bootable floppy in the floppy drive and boot up). You need the bootable version.

you can take out all the memory and see if PC will boots up.
also, if you have one PC100 128MB in one slot and another in the other slot take one out and boot up to see if it works. If not put it back and take out the other 128MB see if it boots up.

Hope this helps.
JCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back