Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any MCSDs out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VB400

Programmer
Sep 8, 1999
US
<br>Is anyone in this forum certified as MCSD?<br>If so, how long did it take from the time you decided to do it until you became certified?<br>Has it changed your marketability in terms of more opportunities and/or higher salaries/rates?<br><br>Just researching the various books that help you prepare for the tests, it seems that there are plenty of good material covered by these tests.&nbsp;&nbsp;To me, this means that studying for the tests is worthwhile since I'd be learning a lot.&nbsp;&nbsp;However, I'm just curious if getting the certificate has any (positive) effect on one's career!<br><br>Any thoughts?

Hey VB400,<br><br>Yep I went and got myself certified, Im based in the UK so I dont know if this is relevant to you. In my experience becoming certified doesn't automatically mean you'll earn more but it does open a lot more doors for interviews which in itself means you can raise what you expect to earn. One of the best tools for passing the exams is the Transcender mock exam series, they are geared to the MS exams and the explanations to their questions are excellent check out there site <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> of luck with the exams<br>Will

Isnt an MCSD basically, one who is certified for 2 or more exams in Software Development? I came very close to getting an MCP over Developing Web applications with Visual Interdev 6 (that was a long time ago, I have yet to try again, and maybe this time I'll get it, I do least have ASP cert and Web dev, cert from brainbench, but oh well) just keep in mind most of the microsoft certification will feel like 70% terminology. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

For what it's worth,&nbsp;&nbsp;I've been contracting for almost 10 years and certification has never been a requirement for any of my contracts (although I have seen some job postings that mentioned them as &quot;pluses&quot;.)<br><br>a good interviewer should be able to gauge your technical ability with a few thoughtful questions.&nbsp;&nbsp;In my opinion, most certification tests just test your ability to memorize things,&nbsp;&nbsp;not your ability to apply the concepts.&nbsp;&nbsp;There are exceptions, of course.<br> <p>nick bulka<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= </a><br>Get your technical books at Bulka's Books<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back