Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any limit on size of .pst in Outlook? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmartin007

Technical User
Jun 8, 2001
GB
Hi

I'm using Outlook 2000 with a large .pst (over 2gb).

It has been getting slower and slower recently (OS: XP Pro, 1gb RAM, P4 cpu) and a friend says that there is a 'limit' on the size of the pst.

I have looked on the Microsoft site but not found anything.

Anyone out there had problems OR is working fine with same or bigger pst's?

Any feedback appreciated!

Ó¿Õ¬

thanks andy

the article you mentioned applies to outlook 2001 on mac.

do you know if it applies to outlook 2000 on windows (xp)?

regards

Ó¿Õ¬

I would warn everyone that has not gone through the process, (i.e. Let there .pst make it to 2gb, I did) that it will cause nothing but trouble. It will get to the point where you cannot even delete emails in order to reduce the size. The only way to fix it then is to download the truncate utility from Microsoft.

LECC is correct and I'll add that the truncate utility only truncates the file to 2Gb.

You may (in some cases) still need to drag some of the files to another personal folder then compress the .pst before it allows full access.

The truncate does what it implies (lops off anything beyond 2Gb)and trashes it.

I ran into this 2-3 years ago. I keep my main pst file below 500 MB, and have never had a problem. Setting up a Personal Folder (or as many as you need, separate from main email Folder) solves the problem - as long as you remember to move emails (and attachments!!) to the Personal Folders.

Of course, establishing rules on automatically moving emails will save time and this kind of problem.

Software: XL2002 on Win2K
Humanware: Older than dirt

I failed to mention to LECC that (when you can't delete but haven't exceeded 2Gb) you usually can drag and drop to another pst (until you reduce the size a bit) then compess.

After that you you can resume adding, deleting etc.

The compress can take a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back