Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any Information 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehuntley

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2001
US
My company is presently going through a 30 day demo of the system. Has anyone implemented this system in a real environment yet.

Yes!

I administrate a Cisco Voice over IP System with 70 IP-Phones (7960, 7940 ans 7910), 3 Voice-Gateways and one CallManager at this time.
The users are 2 firms and the system run in productiv-mode.

Next time, i will built a Cluster with 2 CallManagers.

vy Markus

''sorry for my English, I`m a german guy and I`m still learning...''

It sounds like it is working OK. Have you had any problems or has it been pretty successful overall

At this time, it`s a full-time job. Because many Features are in beta-Mode and there are many bugs in the Software-Versions.
But it is realy interesting and I don`t want to mis that. The "Test-firms" are my own branch (ISP-Admins..)and our affiliated company (Webdesigner..).

vy Markus [ Sorry for my English, I`m learning.. ]
[ mc.tektips@rueger-net.de ]

I have installed 5 complete systems for a total of over 500 phones.
The smallest is an ICS 7750 with 25 phones and unified messaging.
The largest involve clusterer call managers with unified messaging and third party applications.

I have many successes and also run into many bugs and others issues, and I'm looking forward to conversations here.

Thank goodness this forum is finally here!

What type of bugs are you experiencing. We have been running it without any glitches so far, but like I say, it is only in demo with 5 phones.

We are looking at multiple systems so all our eggs are not in the Cisco basket.

We are an enterprise size business with 2 locations with about 600 people and multiple remote sites. I don't want to write this technology off yet like some people because I do see the benefits if it works right.

I am interested in everyone's feedback.

Most of the problems are associated with wide area networks and gateways.

I have a Cisco IP Phone model 7940.
I would like to test it but I do not have Cisco
Call Manager.
Any ideas?

Thanks.

I'm getting ready to implement this to about 5000 users. It will be about a 18 month project. I've tested the CM in Cisco's lab and it worked great. (of course) Now I'm implementing this into my own lab and I'll see how it works. I'll let you all know when I have more info.

Cool, It looks like we are going to be picking the Cisco and doing a long migration as well, so maybe we will have some information for each other. We have about 2000 users right now but we will probably have about 2500 when it is all said and done. We will try to keep in touch.

I`m total laik in this problem, and I must install CCM first for our office (about 30 IP phones), and then for hundreds of users :-(.

I hope i find many helpful advices in this forum...

..and sorry for english

I am going to meet with a company that installs CCM next week. We are going to either get a Lucent or CCM. I don't know much about the call manager. I definitely don't want to buy a lemon for our company like our current phone system. Any feedback or info about this phone system.

We just decided on the Cisco as our new system. We have about 2500 users and about 20 sites, including Europe and South America. If you want VoIP, this is the way to go based purely on the technology. Cisco is the only Enterprise class system that is VoIP from the ground up. If you are not dead set on IP then the Lucent is a good system.

Lucent, Nortel, NEC, and any other system that offers VoIP is doing it on there existing TDM platforms. Therefore, all of the system processing is TDM not IP. You just get the ability to use your existing data network for phones.

Also, to add IP phones or IP trunks you need to buy more IP cards. With the Cisco system, you use your exiting routers switches, etc. You are installing servers and gateway devices. The gateway devices are just like routers, but with voice enabled IOS.

The place that Cisco really shines is at the remote site. To operate a remote site, all you need is a 2600 series router with voice enabled IOS. If you use the IOS Plus, those phones can make internal and external calls through the router if the line to the central Call Manager goes down. If you normally would install a small PBX at that site, you just cut your install time from weeks to days, based on availability of hardware.

The only downfall to the Cisco system is the lack of features compared to a traditional PBX. Out of the box it does not do everything a traditional PBX will. However, once you add ACD, IVR, etc. You can get it to where you want it.

Long story short, if you want IP, I would recommend Cisco. We did a 2 month demo and have been researching it for about a year. The advantage to the Lucents, and Nortels of the world is that you can still use digital phones along with IP. However, it is not true IP. It is IP on top of TDM.

Now don't hold me to that, because I know nothing is perfect. However, we just went through the same thing you went to and everything I just mentioned is the thought process we went through to reach our decision.

One final thing that really hit us was that we felt that IP was definitely the future. You would have to think that the traditional manufacturers will be coming out with all IP platforms in the future. If we buy a TDM based system now, will we have to buy an IP platform in the future. We decided to go ahead and make the jump now.

I have much more information than this, but I don't want to write a novel.

Hi I am new to this forum, so please bear with me.
My comapny is looking to install Call Manager as it looks very impressive.

I have been given the role of developing CTI applications to run with Cisco.

My question is how easy is it to integrate new applications with it? Are there any documents available to assist developers?

Thanks

JML

We are going through the steps right now for that very process. Once I get all the information I will let you know, if you don't come across it before me.

I went through about the same thought process as ehuntly. Cisco does not have all the features down yet but it was the only pure IP system.If you are looking towards the future than it looks like this is the way to go. As data guys we understand networks and IPs but had to call in an outside vendor for all our PBX troubles. Now we do all our own maintenance and upkeep.
There is a very good development book put out by Cisco press for developing xml applications for the phones.
"Developing Cisco IP Phone Services: A Cisco AVVID Solution"
The phones are picky about the xml tags you can use so you have to do most of the work in another application, i used java, and then output it into xml.
good luck

I work with both Cisco Callmanager and AVAYA Multivantage. When it comes to data, I'm purely a Cisco Man, but I must say, CallManager is a POS. I like it all in all, but when it comes down to it, it stinks. It has no features compared to a definity. And the statments that Cisco's is pure IP is kinda of miscurred, inside the router there is TDM technology going on at some points, which is the same with a PBX, but still though. "WHO CARES?" TDM is a proven technology, and does not fail. AVAYA has solutions that you could consider IP Telephony. My main beef is that I work with Multivantage more and more every day, and I realize more and more that there are tons of features that are needed that CallMangler can't provide. You can't even do advanced hunt groups with Callmanager, thats a very lacking feature. Its really frustrating too. Cisco is busy adding features that no one really needs and missing the features that everyone does need.

Cisco definately has the infrastructure in the IP standpoint, but is severly beaten by AVAYA in features. I so wish those companies would hook up. They'd be unstoppable.

I still have faith in Cisco, I know they'll get there some day, and I sure hope they do, because I would love to see AVAYA get the smack-down laid on them, heh.

Just my opinion

BuckWeet

Our company moved to a new site at the end of last year and we had a choice of what type of PBX we are going to use for the 140 users.
CISCO AVVID was chosen and in the last 8 months we have had no major problems, just some minor bugs<< that don't effect the operation of the product>> the last time the boxes have been rebooted was 5 months ago.... it never fails ......I love it!!!
The major problem we have is with the third party voice mail software we are using.... it totally SUCKS!!!..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back