Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any info out there on how to install Norton Antivirus 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdavis37

MIS
Jul 9, 2002
US
for Microsoft Exchange 2003? I'm in a Novell environment and we migrating over to Microsoft. We're currently using Groupwise w/Corp Norton Anti-virus 8.0. We're migrating to Exchange 2003 and I'm just looking for some info on the Norton Antivirus for Microsoft Exchange 2003.

We're using Symantec right now. Funny thing is they are still developing a proper antivirus for Exchange 2003. They have come out with several versions of the software for it but still no proper application. The build I have on my Exch2003 erros out the iis regularly and the service has to restart. Other than that its been working great. The support is excellent, its just thier developement team that is behind the times. Although they are supposed to have a proper version for it in the first quarter of this year.
Swank

Thanks for the info. Can you tell where I can get some info?

When you say that the IIS service has to be restarted, do you need to do this manually or will it restart itself?

The office in which I am running the network now has purchased NAV 8.1 Small Business with Exchange filter (prior to my arrival) and I am supposed to install it on the server this week. Me and maybe 3 other people use outlook web access. We are not going to be installing the client AV programs at this time*, just want protection for the server's files & e-mail hopefully!

*We are admist an inventory of our systems, we have a mish mash of and older Symantec AV which many are using, and also many OEM systems which still have months left on their initial subscriptions. As these run out, we will be upgrading them to Symantec 8.1 and buying more licensing as appropriate (gotta recover from the 25 CAL pack for small business server 2003!)

Mark

The Symantec antivirus errors out the IIs and the IIS restarts its self. Its just when you log in you have to hit ok on 10 or 15 "Do you want to send this error to Microsoft" Dialogs. Symantec says they know about this problem and it doesn't affect the server operation. You will need to contact Symantec support to obtain a version that will work on Server 2003 / Exchange 2003. I think they are upto 8.1 build 458. Youll have to download it from thier site and install from there. Dont install the one off the cd! Bad things happen, as I found out.

Mark, are you installing it on Exchange 2003? If not, you dont have to worry about this.

Davis, for more info I would honestly call Symantec support or sales and ask them about it. I cant seem to find any documentation about this problem on thier website yet.

Swank

Swank,

Yes, I would like to install it onto Exchange 2003. I will contact Symantec tomorrow like you suggest. We did buy Symantec 8.1, I will make sure that it is the latest build. If I cannot reach them can I just install the server portion and go back and do the Exchange part later?

How difficult is it to explain the case to them regarding this and get the latest build to install?

Mark

install the norton onto the exchange server and it updates itself. Leave it on port 8081 otherwise you can conflict.

Make sure you are putting the current CD in as older CDs (and I made this mistake) cause the server to hang!!!

I get minor problems with IIS which memory hogs then restarts itself once a month but nothing major. Runs pretty well.

any more updates on this matter? Has Symantec addressed the issue?

from what I hear, this doenst happen in AV Corp 10.0 and Mail Security 4.6 for Exchange.

I am testing both products now on a Exchange 2003 server...no problems so far.

Mark C.
Network Admin - Digital Draw Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back