Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any Ideas about POP3!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renzy

Programmer
Jun 14, 2001
PH
HI,

I want to ask any ideas on How POP3 works? Imail v6.06 is our mailer it supports POP3 but I just dont know how to do it, so that all of the mails from other server transfer to users mailbox. Please help.

Thanks.

POP3 (Point of Presence) mail basically works on the premise that you have a "Point of Presence" somewhere out on the net. That could be your ISP, or an online service, such as AOL or Freeserve, for example.

To collect mail from a POP3 account, you will need to do just two things:

1. Set up a POP3 account, with your ISP, etc.
2. Configure your e-mail client software to collect the mail from that account.

One really easy way for you to test this, without spending any money, is to go to Freeserve.com and set up a free account there. Their website is quite easy to deal with; it's designed with beginners in mind, so you might even find it a bit patronising.

Once you've done that, configure your client to collect mail from it. I'm not sure about other software, but in Outlook, set up a profile which will collect 'Internet Mail' from the POP server 'pop.freeserve.net' and send mail to 'smtp.freeserve.net' and supply the account username and password that you used when you created the account. When you send/receive mail in Outlook, it should connect (unless you're already connected) and drop off mail and pick it up from the account.

This technique works with dial-up modems, as well as ISDN or ADSL connections.

Hi Rhort,

Thanks for the idea but what i want is the code that will enable POP3(post office protocol). Actually, i program a web based email and I want to add a POP3 feature for our users to access their mails from another server to our email interface. Fortunately, I did it already.

Thanks.

Rhort

A "Point Of Presence" is the access point to your ISP. All our leased line, ISDN, ADSL and dial up customers lines terminate in our POP (Point Of Presence).

This is different to the Post Office Protocol 3 POP3 mail protocol, which I'm sure you have realised by now!!

What Renzy is asking is how do you set up POP3 for the Imail v6.06 mail server. Maybe someone out there can help with this??

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

I understand about freesevre set up but what about hotmail

I would like to use outlook to retreev my hotmail account

please help

Hi tazman001,

Sad to say you can't POP your hotmail mails using Outlook or any email interface because there admin doesn't enable POP3 from their server. In hotmail they wrote this in there help:
You are using an ISP that has third-party POP restrictions.
Check with your ISP to be sure. Some ISPs that have such restrictions are:
America Online
AT&T Worldnet
Compuserve
Juno
MSN
Netcom
Prodigy
Sprint Mail
WebTV

Regards,

WEeelllllll wouldnt you just know that some companies prevent access to email just to be awkward.
I wanted to ask how to get my lineone.net stuff into my outlook espress. I have emailed them and waiting a reply. but if anyone else knows that might speed things up a bit. I just noticed there are 350 emails in my WEbmail box at lineone. So it would take ages to read and deal with them online. I need them in my OE box.I'll probably elte most of them but soem intrigued me.
any ideas please.
Cheers
Shirleyowl

Renzy,

My Dad uses Outlook Express 5 to collect his mail from Hotmail.

Oh yeh!!

And what POP3 server and SMTP server is he using? ************************
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

Yeah .. HTTP is web based!! Outlook can't receive mail from a http server!! Outlook and OE only support POP3 and IMAP and SMTP for outgoing mail.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

Hi Chris

Actually Outlook EXPRESS does support http: for email - I use it all the time for teaching email classes at the local communiity centre with Hotmail accounts.

Outlook itself does not (unless anyone can tell me how!).

Cheers

Ryedale

WOW!! How do you set that up?

I've just tried setting my OE up for hotmail. However when I get to the mailservers part I only get a choice of POP3 or IMAP for the incoming mail servers and SMTP for the outgoing mail server.

What mail servers do you use?

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

Hi Chris

Well, that's a funny thing, as I just had the same problem this weekend for the first time! A client wanted to set up OE to pick up their Hotmail and gave me the same description over the phone. Weird, huh?

In the servers page, HTTP should be included in the protocols on the drop down - this is in both OE5 and 6. Once HTTP is selected the options change and you can choose Hotmail as the provider, and SMTP/POP3 greys out. My client said they had installed from a disk provided by the ISP for an smtp/pop3 service, so I wonder if that was it (I haven't had a chance to visit their computer yet). He was going to try reinstalling OE to see if that cleared it up.

It might be worth checking the Microsoft website I suppose.

I don't know if anyone else has come across this problem?

Cheers

I just tried this with my OE6 and HTTP works ok. Just need it to work with some other web mailers now!! ( I won't be holding my breath)

Chris.

I just set up my Outlook2002 using an http server type under mail properties, and add a new e-mail account. Seems to be working just fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back