Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

any HP 1010 users out there? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

westredd

MIS
Jul 22, 2004
GB
Hi,

I have just bought 2x HP 1010 laser printers and am shocked at how much heat they produce. So much heat that the papers gets excessive curl after passing through the fuser. Does anyone else have the same thing with this printer? Is it just how this printer works? I expected better from a HP laser printer.

cheers

West

by the way i have tried some heavier paper to reduce the curl. It didnt really help

ta

West

Check the config for fuser settings(time/heat).

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

thanks for replies guys.

There are no config setting for the fuser, there isnt even a config panel on this printer.

I think that the printer does run hotter then other printers. I was reading about the HP 1012 and they said that it doesnt have a fan and does get very hot after a few prints so I think the 1010 is the same.

The other facter in this is that I think the paper I have been using has had high moisture content as you can see steam rising as the paper passes and condensation building up on the top of the printer, as I live in a coastal area and the paper has been exposed to the environment it has taken on alot of moisture and so when getting heated rapidly it distorts the paper.

ta

West

I am having a total nightmare with Comet where I bought my HP 1010, after only a few sheets I get steam(?) billowing out whatever paper I use. The store are refusing to replace the unit and HP refused to take it back under warranty to check it. They claim that the steam and excess heat is a `characeristic' of the unit, because it doesn't have a fan apparently. I am really shocked and I won't be buying from Comet again or HP either.

I would have thought that the characteristic is in fact a design fault and a dangerous one if there is inadequate cooling for the machine.

I would have thought that the characteristic is in fact a design fault and a dangerous one if there is inadequate cooling for the machine."

Yep, I would totally agree, but the thing is I thought there would be alot of stuff on the internet about this, but found nothing. btw, do you live in a high humidity area such as on the coast as I do?

ta West

I have never heard of this, and I have several customers with this machine, in fact it is the machine I use. It must be the humidty that causes it. The fuser is very hot in this machine because of the speed, but I did not know that it could produce steam, thanks for the heads up.

Donald Broda
Vice President

I live in London (UK) and the paper I use most definitely is not damp. I get the problem with whatever paper is used. I spoke to HP Tech who were adamant that my problem is condensation but as no one from HP has ever examined the machine I wonder how they can be so certain? Between the store (Comet) and HP they are making a diagnosis without examaning the machine that they think allows them to dodge the obligations of the waranty.

Steam or no steam, the excess heat created by this machine was described as a `characteristic' by both Commet and HP. I wonder how safe it is to produce a machine which is not properly cooled when in operation?

yeah I agree its crap. Ths printer does get way too hot and I think it could be dangerous also as well as reduce the life of the fuser. You should have been able to return it within 7 days (think its 7 days) as you werent satisified with the product.

I bought some paper today and tried it directly out the wrapper, and I must say that there was considerably less curl on the paper and no steam rising. If you have steam rising from the printer then its has to be from moisture and the only place the moisture can come from is the paper. The paper I have used until now is not damp in appearence or to touch, but it obviously does have high moisture content if steam is being produced, but this is only a result of a crappy printer that gets overheated and doesnt have adequate cooling.

ta West

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back