Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any help left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth20

Technical User
Sep 27, 2004
US
Any help Left?

hey all, I've reported on my laptop before:

is this a hardware or software problem?

I'll pick it up from servicing. It will seem
to run alright for a couple hours - yeah just
enough time to get programs on , connect to
net.

THEN BSOD! - This will happen up to about every
half hour. The problem seems to be connected
to the USB ports. [ but can happen while just
surfing the net, too ]

For example: any other laptop can read a usb drive connected, but this one will crash. Or a simple search will crash it.

It has had new mother boards, etc.

Service cannot fix it to my satisfaction. aLTHOUGH they claim it is up to factory specs. They also claim this is a great laptop, and they never see service problems on this model.

I almost feel like they think I'm crazy now: like they think theres nothing wrong with it.
It's really disheartening to stand their whil
e they boot it up, see the windows screen, do
a couple simple operations and claim it fixed.

Fixed? I suppose if you just wrote a letter in note pad, you might like it - lol.

One bad thing is it has that darn ghost drive
on their with programs to reinstall everything,
so I cant just erase the partitions and install
a clean xp pro on to try.

) the D partition has xp home and bunch of crap
like norton on it. { anyway to erase this?
the d drive is fat 32. Actually I think a bootable cd will erase this D, but NOT the C drive]

any ideas?

thanks!!!

yes under warranty,

and they have a clause to replace it, but
they keep making excuses " Oh its a different
problem this time" when actually its the
same problem, they just never completely write down on the order exactly what I tell them

Heres what i have done when i have tried regular, proper channels and they have failed and i feel i have no other options. I draft a letter of complaint pointing out that i have had all i can take and i want the laptop computer replaced. I also point out all the steps that have been taken, the whole story. Then i email it to tech support, mgrs, wherever i feel it might get attention, even new sales dept. If it goes to 20 people or 20 different email addys, so be it.
This may sound silly, perhaps even childish, but i can tell you that when used as a last straw it has worked for me several times in the past and not failed me.
Again, i use it as a last ditch effort but it seems to me that you are at that point?
The way i figure it i want and need the whole sequence of events all documented anyway so that i can get proper results and service so its really only costing me the effort of finding some email addys to send it to.
Best way to handle the letter is to point out all the facts, all that has happened, and be polite but firm that the only remedy is a replacement unit.
Good luck to you.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

I forgot to point out that i also get some names and email addresses for as many "higher-ups" as i can and make sure they get an email from me. Sometimes you have to phone and ask, who is higher than who sort of thing.

you're welcome. Usually when i get this far i keep it up til i get a resolution to my satisfaction. One of the many people i email usually comes thru for me, so good luck and let us know if you use my method and how you make out.
Make sure you stress that you need a new unit and why, basically one good reason is what you said, that you keep returning the unit for the very same thing, even though the tech people put different things down on the repair ticket, its not true, its really the very same problem, so the unit cannot be repaired to last, and thats why you need a replacement unit, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back