Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any attempt to delete anything brings on BSOD! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuanH

Technical User
Apr 16, 2003
US
Today, I tried to empty my recycle bin at work and got a BSOD. Now I can't delete anything; if I try to right click on the recycle bin, BSOD. If I so much as press delete, BSOD. I thought the recycle bin was located at C:/Recycled in Win98, but there's nothing there. I even tried to copy someone else's recyled folder and paste it in there. BSOD. The only things I deleted today were 2 programs regarding IP addresses (shield.exe, hipa.exe; both written by someone to spoof Steve Gibson) and both checked out fine. I scanned them with both NAV Corp. & 2003. Then I ran/deleted them at my machine at home, which I am using to type this out. Nada. If I have to reformat the comp, I am in some deep trouble. Usually a Google search will turn up something. Nothing! "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in Kernel32" then death. No error code, will check and try to post tomorrow.
I hope someone knows what the hell is going on.

You could try booting to DOS, hit F8 just before Windows starts to load and select "Command Prompt Only", then type scanreg /restore and pick a date to restore to before the problem occurred.

Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.
All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Sorry guys, some more info -
Ran SFC, restored defaults, nothing.
Ran ScanReg /restore - Restored the previous 4 days worth, sequentially; Nothing.
Can't use startup hotkeys on this OEM peice of junk.
Errors are as follows;
"A fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:C198462D in VXD NAVAP(02) + 00015D3D" (BSOD)
Then we get:
"Explorer caused a general portection fault in module KRNL386.exe at 0001:020075A2" (In explorer, totally freezes)
Uninstalled and then reinstalled Nav Corporate Edition 7.6; this did not fix the problem.
Fdisking, reformating, and reinstalling (my usual M.O.) simply isn't an option, as this machine is very important to daily operations.
Thanks for the advice, though. My bad.

Google on fatal exception vxd navap gave me the following:

two thoughts:
1. In terms of removing/reinstalling, this post and others the search showed suggest that you should go deeper than just control panel add/remove programs when uninstalling. (ie leftover application directories, files, and registry entries.)

2. In the virus forums, if virus activity is a concern, I see posters suggesting running an on-line checker as a crosscheck on your regular av application.

Google on fatal exception vxd navap gave me the following:

two thoughts:
1. In terms of removing/reinstalling, this post and others the search showed suggest that you should go deeper than just control panel add/remove programs when uninstalling. (ie leftover application directories, files, and registry entries.)

2. In the virus forums, if virus activity is a concern, I see posters suggesting running an on-line checker as a crosscheck on your regular av application.

(Also - any posibility hotfusion's tip in thread615-486610 would remove somekind of conflict?)

try checking symantec's site for an uninstall program for you version of NAV...does that version you are using install the proctected recycle bin?..if so we maybe able to rewrite the part of the registry that deals with it

I did a deep uninstall; not just add/remove, but trashing entire sections of the registry (Don't worry!)
NAV 7.6 doesn't have a protected recycle bin. Once all traces of norton were removed, I tried again. No dice.
BUT, finally, Jmatt's post held the answer! I am truly a stupid ass for not trashing it in DOS.
Thank you very, very much!

Good news , thanks for letting me know .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back