Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any alternaitves to Net Send?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roswald

Programmer
Jul 6, 2002
US
Hi All,
I have a script that will log off any active users on SQL Server 2000 that happen to be using a particular database between 5 and 6 pm.
I was going to use xp_cmdshell to launch an informational message that will pop up on their screens letting the users know that they will be logged off in 5 minutes.
My problem is that all of our user PCs are on XP with SP2 installed which by default disables the Messenger service and Microsoft warns not to turn it on if you also connect to the Internet on that machine.
I don't know any other way of interrupting active users with a message.
Can anyone suggest anything else that will work for me?
What about Windows messaging?

Thanks for your help on this!

b

If you have a firewall between you and the internet (or your network is private IP you can turn the Messenger service back on.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

mrdenny,
We sure do have a firewall to go through. Thank you. All I read is not to start messenger is pc is used to get on internet. No explanation though.
Can you tell me how turning the messenger on would be a potential security risk without the firewall?

b

If there is on firewall between a PC and the internet then people on the internet can send net send messages to your PC.

A couple of years ago companies were setup and were sending these messages to peoples computers advertising software which would prevent the messages from poping up.

Denny

[noevil]

Thank you mrdenny for the History lesson.
Your help was invaluable.

b

no problem.

Denny

[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back