Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

antivirus unable to update, need administrator account

Status
Not open for further replies.

z28Barry

IS-IT--Management
Apr 9, 2006
CA
New Question, should be simple to fix.
"Antivirus unable to update, need administrator account to update"
The workstations all have Antivirus programs running that try to update automatically but can't.
Wants only the Administrator account to update.
How can I set it up so that the end users on the workstations can update the antivirus themselves?
This would also apply to other software programs that search for updates as well.

Thanks in advance, this place rocks.

Barry.

Yes, i had the same problem in our office in paris.

Winxp clients were failing to update Symantec av whilst logged in as domain user. when logged in as domain / local administrator, all works.

had the same problem with citrix but adding the user's domain account as a local power user resolved this.

I know this is not the ideal solution, but i havn't had time to sit and try figure out whats going on here yet.

With Symantec, could i change the symantec services, logon to property and add say, domain users?

What version of Symantec are you using, i have over 400 boxes with SAV on and all users are ordinary domain users. They update without any problems.

You could use cacls to just give domain users write access to the AV program directory rather than make them power users, this might solve the problem.

The Antivirus is not Symantic, it's Mcafee.
I took a look at the Cacls and it looks a litte confusing to me. I am not affraid of the command line but don't want to issue an incorrect command and have it bite me.
Then not know how to fix it.
Any other ideas?

Thanks, Barry.

What version of McaFee?

How many PC's do you need to alter the permissions on? There is a way of doing this with Active Directory.

Only 5 workstations.
One of latest versions, not the newest.
Very small network.

What happens when users try to update does it ask for the admin account or just fail?

If this is a permissions issue there must be an area that the defs are downloaded to that the user doesn't have access too, i would try giving the users write access to the McaFee program files directory and see if that changes anything.

Remember to record any changes you make so they can be undone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back