Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Antivirus solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddeluca

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2002
AU
Has anyone found an antivirus solution for NEtware 6.x?

We have an installation of NW 5.1 and 4.2 with CA inoculateIT and looking to upgrade to NW 6.x. I know Arcserve will work but no luck finding out if Inoculan works.

Netshield seems to work fine with NW6, not 100% sure whether it is in the Network Associates official OS support listing though.

InoculateIT should also work because of the level it works at, a set from contacting Computer Associates, testing would be the only method.

Cheers, Andy.

We have CA products, InoculateIT 4.53 will work.

Good luck

Al

The answer to virus protection on Novell?

RAV AntiVirus for Novell Netware and Groupwise

No third apps needed
Incoming/Outgoing message scanning
Scheduled/Configured actions
Reports

$599 per server, only $120 per year/per server for updates -unlimited scanning

Oh, I wasn't paying attention on my post. I said that Backup Exec is a good anti-virus solution for NetWare:)

Take a look at Symantec Norton Anti-Virus Corporate Edition 7.6. It runs on Windows and NetWare.

Symantec's Norton Anti-Virus Corporate Edition 7.6 does not work on Network 6 and is not supported. I had to remove it from several sites becouse of the lack of Netware support.

Symantec's Norton Anti-Virus Corporate Edition 7.6 does not work on Netware 6 and is not supported. I had to remove it from several sites becouse of the lack of Netware support.

I'm running it on NW51, but haven't tried it on 6 yet. A friend of mine says he is running it on a NW6 server without any problems. I would call Symantec to see if it will run on NW6 before installing it myself, though. They will probably come out with some sort of patch for NW6 in the future, I would assume.

Direct from Symantec:

"NetWare 6.0 is not a supported platform for any release of NAVCE 7.0, 7.5, or 7.6.

Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 8.0, due out summer 2002, will provide full compatibility with NetWare 6.0."

So, I await release information... as it is summer now!

I think you will find a good product for Netware 4.x right up to Netware 6 at Norman Data Defence. It is totally integrated with NDS. You can also manage it via the Server console and updates are a simple drag and drop to a directory on sys and it autoupdates. If all your servers are in the same tree then you can update all servers with one simple directory. You point all your servers to update from the master at a specific time and it is a totally hands off system.

the main product site is to look at the products is:

The product for Netware is called Norman Firebreak and the link is:

If you are looking for a reseller...you can contact ME at

vbender@rfnow.com for pricing. All support is directly with Norman and they have very good support.

I have sold over 60 Firebreak licenses and the customers love it.

Netware CNE 5.x

Be careful with InoculateIT. CA is still going through the certification process for Netware 6. This is due out within the next 2 months.

Hi

For those interested in Antivirus Protection for Netware 6.x NOW Norman Firebreak is available. The Cost for software per server is 200.00 USD. If you outfit your whole network with Norman Antivirus including Server and wkstns you only pay for one server license and you can put it on as many servers you want as long as you have Norman Virus Control installed on all your wkstns.

Volume pricing is available for NVC for the wkstn. The advantage of Norman Virus Control for the wkstn is that there is virtually NO performance hit on the PC running NVC.
Check out the NVC for the wkstn

If anyone is interested you can email me at vbender@rfnow.com. For 200.00 this is a two year license which entitles you to signature and software updates. And at the end of your two year license you renew for exactly the same price as you initially paid. This is for new customers only.

Sincerely

Vaughn Bender
Netware CNE 5.x

I have a few clients who use McAfee and CAI Inoculate 4.5. The problem with CA's software is that CA gives you an old workstation client, but the server end works fine. McAfee 4.6 works well (if you have 4.5 and a valid grant number you can upgrade for free). I don't really like Norton all that much, but it seems to work.

If you run Groupwise, take a look at GWAVA for your messageing platform.

Hi

Sorry let me clarify....it is NOT NORTON....I am refering to NORMAN DATA. It is a product called Norman Firebreak for Netware. It works better and is cheaper than NORTON and it works WELL.

sincerely

Vaughn Bender
Netware CNE 5.x

We are also using Netshield with no problems. 4.60 for the scan engine on the servers.

Hi

Norman Firebreak for Netware is available today for Netware 6.x
and is backward compatible back down to I believe NW 3.12.
Sincerely

Vaughn Netware CNE 5.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back