Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AntiVirus Rescue Disk Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealer

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2001
US
Hi All,

I am using Norton Anti Virus 2002. I just made a set of 7 rescue boot disks for use with my computer and other peoples computers. I booted with them on another computer and got a warning that I should only be using these disks on the computer that they were made on. The other computers I want to use them on are all windows machines but all different versions (win95, 98, 98se, ME, XP home and xp Pro) Can someone suggest to me what virus program I can use with all these. Please remember I don't want to install a virus checker on these computers, just want to be able to boot off floppies and check their systems for a virus.

Thanks for the help,
Stephen

The nearest I can think of is the freeware (private use) F-Prot for DOS. You would have to have the exe and dat files preloaded on each machine or load them prior to use, but not installed as such, and use a startup disk to get into DOS to run the exe, or it is possible to run it from a command prompt in windows (I think). It also says it will run on a network or in the NT operating system. You can check it out if nothing better comes along.

The Restore disks take a snap shot of the computer and its system files on the computer Norton is installed.
This snap shot will not work on any other machine as the information varies. Even if the machines were identical in everyway using Norton's rescue disks will still not work on another system as the serial number of it will differ.
There is no uniform way of doing this plus it is against the lickence aggreement. Take control of your life, not someone else's

The Restore disks take a snap shot of the computer and its system files on the computer Norton is installed.
This snap shot will not work on any other machine as the information varies. Even if the machines were identical in everyway using Norton's rescue disks will still not work on another system as the serial number of it will differ.
There is no uniform way of doing this plus it is against the licence aggreement. Take control of your life, not someone else's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back