Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

antivirus recommendations??

Status
Not open for further replies.

honeypot

Technical User
Mar 6, 2001
GB
im looking for some advice on buying antivirus software on a win2k server...we have approx 15 workstations attached operating on various platforms..win2k, winnt and win98..id like to install the software on the server and for all the workstations to access the software from the server automatically?? any recommendations?

IMHO, I recommend Sophos Sweep and Intercheck. & & . They provide solutions for a variety of OS', server platforms, and workstations. A bit pricey and some find it a bit difficult to configure but it almost always ranks at the top for virus detection.
James P. Cottingham

I recommend Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition. They have licensing options that allow you a "per seat whatever software" method instead of having 10 copies at this price, 5 at that price, 2 at yet another, convoluted seat prices beyond.

It allows for centralized updating of all antivirus data, and they provide you with software that will install on workstations, servers, firewalls, mail servers, gateways, the works. You can download updates 1 time for all related machines and then push the updates to your clients, saving time and money in bandwidth usage charges and preventing user downtime and intervention requirements as the entire process can be automated.

Last time I checked NAV was the #1 solution. I know it consistently finds things other scanners miss - I get blips all the time for email attachments that have one worm or another stuck in them.

I second the recommendation for Symantec Antivirus Corp. Edition. It is a great product and provides you with quick, easy and consistent control over the entire network.

I third it! Symantec Corporate AV is great!

I recommend Trend Server Protect. We actually use Intrascan for email and Officescan for workstations too. All manageable through IIS console. Works great!

I would recommend Mcafee ASAP (mcafeeasap.com). You can install it on all the servers and workstations, and it updates all by itself. Uses peer-to-peer and rumor technology.

I second the choice for mcafeeasap.com, it is the only product that updates itself everyday! Symantec will KILL you on support cost and also on transitions from version to version. Anyone remember the migration from 7.0 to 7.5??

I highly recommend sophos. Have tried all others - sophos beats them all hands down.

I have worked at several companies with 3000+ clients using any thing from F-prot, Norton, ect. TREND is by far the best suite I have ever seen. It is almost 0 maintenace and administration. You just check a web page every now and then to make sure all the clients are updating. We are using Trend Office Scan, ServerProtect, ScanMail & Emanager for Exchange, and Virus wall. If a server doesnt update(which is very rare) I get an out of date alert. We even use the mail content and Spam filtering in Emanager. B-)

I thought you might find this usefull
I installed Norton Anti-Virus Corporate Edition 7.5 on a Win2k Server runnig Terminal Server and all hell broke loose.

After consultation with Symantec, it was decided this edition of the software was not suitable for the VB application installed on the terminal server. Symantec are due to release veriosn 8.0 of the software which is terminal server ready.

Hope this helps.

Nick

IMHO, I second the Sophos recommendation ( & & ). We use it on 125 PC's (115-Win2k Pro,10-Win98se)and 12 Win2k servers in locations around the world, as well as integration with Mailsweeper for SMTP v4.2 and MS Exchange 5.5 to ensure virus free email (or as near as damn it). They are on the ball for updates for virus signatures (usually 3+ per day) and central installation is a breeze.

Regards
Nigel
IT Manager, NEPIA Ltd

Good suggestions everyone. As this thread is outdated, i'd like to see if anything has changed in recommendations.

My company is still using McAfeeASAP and we have had very few problems with it. I still would give a strong recommendation for it, but I still have not gotten to try others either. lol

I recommend CommandCom F-Prot software, as I have had extremely good results with it at four different companies now, and find it catches and cleans virus attacks that Norton and McAffee both missed. Have Trend at a company I currently support and find its support and documentation to really suck.

Look at for information. You can get a site license which also allows the office users to install on their home systems, which helps prevent home infections that then migrate into the office behind the firewall. They have an excellent Exchange version also.

HTH

David

We use Symantec Corporate Edition here. I've never had a problem with it either. All you have to do is setup the server and then push the clients out, very nice/easy. The update portion is set and forget as well. The server downloads the updates as configured and pushes the updates out to the clients.

AVG anti-virus

Josh McMahon
A+ Certified,CCNA
jmcmahon@lexgen.com

The new kid on the block is Hauri's ViRobot. The server level is extremely powerful and unlike Norton and MacAfee it doesn't change or modify the date of the files especially the system files. Go to globalhauri.com

Sophos Enterprise Manager rocks! Automatic updates from Sophos Databank and 0% admin required to deploy these updates to clients! Great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back