Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AntiVirus on vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalComps

IS-IT--Management
Jul 8, 2007
GB
Has any-one got any advice on an antivirus for vista? ive tried a few and vista dont like it. now dont have any protection but windsows own, Tried AVG but to no avail Norton still no good

Vista business addition 32 bit
1gig ram
duo core 6400 2.13

free would be great if not ahhh oh well :(

Look up your error here.

Explanation of error codes generated by Device Manager in Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Perhaps you have more than one manufacturer's Virus Scanning Services floating around in Services?

Not sure whether this is helpful or not?

How to turn off Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection?
thread1583-1368124: How to turn off Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection?

Just for the record, last Fall bought an Acer Aspire notebook (running XP Media Edition) which came with a free upgrade to VISTA. I then bought and installed (a non-OEM) McAfee Internet Security Suite 2007. Was quite pleased with this security suite. The program seems to upgrade itself every time I log on. In May my upgrade to VISTA DVDs arrived and I installed VISTA. The McAfee suite continues to work fine. (My whole system seems to be running 15-20% slower since the VISTA upgrade.)

I have three different "paid" anti-virus programs running on my 3 Vista computers here. All work well.

NOD32 v 2.7 - smallest footprint and fast, no firewall. Nice product & recommended highly.

Kaspersky Internet Security - Very strick and works well but doesn't play nice with the on-board RAID1 controller on my Intel 965 board. Great on a single drive system. Needs manually configured for a home network.

Trend Micro Internet Security Suite.- The strictest of them all and takes some time to configure fully.

I have also used the free McAfee programs available for Comcast users. They seem to work well also.

I agree with linney above. If you're a savvy user and stay to business sites, etc., free AVG works very, very well.

My wife and daughters computers have the security suites on them with high security settings to save them from themselves. I use NOD32 on my office PC, because I hope I know not to click on the flashing box that says I just won a million dollars!

Hope this helps someone...

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back