Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AntiVirus on vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalComps

IS-IT--Management
Jul 8, 2007
GB
Has any-one got any advice on an antivirus for vista? ive tried a few and vista dont like it. now dont have any protection but windsows own, Tried AVG but to no avail Norton still no good

Vista business addition 32 bit
1gig ram
duo core 6400 2.13

free would be great if not ahhh oh well :(

Are you trying the latest versions of these products. Vista has been going for sometime now and you don't see many problems like those mentioned by you.

I myself use AVG free without any problems, and have so for ages. I have also successfully used the TrendMicro product.

Both products mentioned by you should be compatible, according to this site.

Windows Vista Security Software Providers

What type of problems are you having?

i use kaspersky anti virus, never had any problems and it updates frequently.

well i installed AVG and afterwards my pc would freeze and i cant run the program, but once i removed it everything was fine. i cant remember the wot came up as it was a few weeks ago now.

I've used AVG free, Nod32, & McAfee corporate version on Vista without problems.

As you are seeking a free program, why not try it again (AVG), the program has been updated to version avg75free_476a1048, you may get a different result this time, or the opportunity to troubleshoot and resolve your issue via this Forum.

For starters if AVG is causing problems it may be conflicting with some other security program running on your system.

I use Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security 2007 on Windows Vista. No problems here.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

thx. i'll try AVG again and see wot happens, if i get the same ill post here. thx for ur help :D

as long as you don't use norton, it's just a pain in the ass and slows your pc down considerably.

well i looked in the logs and for sure AVG had stop working and windows protection error was in place. i think vista is good but dont half give u a head ache, could it be that ive got Business N version?

probably just that AVG haven't released a fully compatible version for vista or they say it's vista compatible but has bugs in it. I'd just buy either mcafee, kaspersky or trend micro as they are good anti virus protection software that work with vista fine. Or another alternative is download one via a torrent if you don't mind having a hooky copy.

LOL hooky me never lmao ;) thx guys ill see wot i can find, if i get same problem ill let u know :D

Nod32...

Absolutley Brilliant... Vista,Xp,2003....

If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

ok installed the avg75free_476a1048, as linney stated, pc crashed had to press the reset button, started comp in normal mode then avg popped up with its updates, im scanning now but im worried its gonna keep crashing. :(

i'd just get rid of it, not worth damaging your computer for a stupid anti virus program. I thought anti virus software was supposed to help keep pc's healthy, not the opposite LOL. In AVG's case obviously not...

Sorry AVG is not working for you, try a few others and see how you go. Avast is another free scanner if you want to chase that up.

What error message did AVG produce?

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Anything in your Event Viewer?

well on install it froze at the point where it had almost finished, restarted the pc, seems ok from then, did a scan ran well but am i now gonna have problems after i rebooted again or is she gonna run just fine? all the log said that it was closed.

this is wot i got "This problem was caused by AVG Anti-Virus. This program was created by Grisoft. Grisoft does not currently have a solution for the problem that you reported.

ok all ive done was install AVG. i had 6+ gig left on my C: now it says 1.54 of 19.5 WTF surely AVG isnt 5gig!!!! wot the hells just happened :(

Try running Disk Cleanup, also look at Users Temp files.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

The Program Files folder of AVG should be about 31MB in size. There is another location, C:\ProgramData\Avg7, that is about 15MB in size, and one more, C:\ProgramData\Grisoft, that is about 13MB in size, but can vary slightly depending on size of definition files.

As you have been trying various scanners, remnants from past uninstalls could interfere with any new install, now or later on.

Symantec is "Nortonorious" for this type of behavior, and have a special cleanup program either on their install CD or downloadable from their web site.

Using the Norton Removal Tool

One sure way of knowing if AVG is installed and working correctly is the presence of a big green tick on the Control Center page.

This is the type of message I get from AVG when it checks E-mails in Vista -

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.476 / Virus Database: 269.10.2/894 - Release Date: 10/07/2007 5:44 PM

When I paid for Virus Scanners, I loved NOD32, but my surfing habits and general experience allow me to relax the security a little and settle for a good free scanner.

ok just a few things, as im not all the clued up on vista and built my own pc, ive checked out device manager and the eventlog for errors etc, wish i hadnt now lol but any1 got any ideas how to solve this?

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

drivers r upto date but says there a problem, i disabled it b4 , its the microsoft tun miniport adapter PnP ID is ROOT\*TUNMP\0000 god i wish i never looked now lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back