Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AntiVirus for Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mef930

MIS
Apr 30, 2003
I'm having a problem with viruses on my computer. Everytime I download email my computer gets a virus from email. I don't open any attachments. I get email from someone who is saying it is a microsoft update, I have never opened this email. I have Norton Antivirus but it doesn't pick up every virus.

Do anyone know of a good antivirus that will pick up all or most of the viruses, also email viruses?

If you don't want email viruses(worms).
You must disable view as HTML (view as plain text ,not so
fancy of course ,but the choice is yours).
And disable autopreview .

AS for antivirus that integrates with mail i can
recommend AVG 6.0 from grisoft that is free for
personal use.
web:grisoft.cz

This is old news.
Get AVG from it is free and works with Outlook or Outlook Express.

You may not open an e-mail, but maybe your preview pane is on, that is the same as opening it!

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Be sure you indicate to have your Norton anti-virus to scan incoming and out going e-mail

okiepc

Thanks, I'm going to try AVG antivirus.

Note:

Microsoft does not send, and never has sent e-mails to customers with updates or attachments.

If you see such a thing, delete it without opening it.

In the very rare instances when Microsoft has sent me a fix or file it has provided an special web address, a special username, and a special password, all time-limited.

And in every instance there was a certificate of authentication passed between my XP client and the download.

I would not open an attachment from Bill Gates himself unless it was signed communications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back