Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Antivirus for W2K Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joupe

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2002
TT
Hi can anyone tell me wha's the best antivirus software I can use with W2K.

Thanks
Kirk.

We use Dr Solomons and haven't had a virus problem yet (we're using NT4, but I imagine it should be just as good on w2k).

I use Trend AntiVirus ServerProtect (antivirus.com) to cover all my win2k servers, and ScanMail to cover the exchange servers. It's easy to use, and works very well.

hope this helps.
Jon. :)
----------------------------------------
To be is to do (Sartre)
To do is to be (Casmus)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
----------------------------------------

We use Cheyenne's Inoculate 6 and it works great. Updates happen usually happen shortly after initial discovery of a new virii or variant.

No complaints and it is reasonably priced.

Troy Lawson

I have Netshield (McAfee) on mine, had to remove/reinstall once because of something in the auto-update, but works fine now.

Alex

Dr Solomon's is crap because it has no real-time scanner so you have to do a whole disk at a time and in the meantime viruses are muching happily at your files. But at least it installs on my MS OS of choice at the moment: W2K Server which I use because its relatively stable (service pack6). Symantec Norton won't let you download their W2K server compatible killer unless you pay for a 5 user license, but at least it has a real-time scanner so all files are scanned as they're created.

A simple Answer to your Question is What ever Anti-Virus Software your currently using should do it.

But I prefer Norton as you can have a central controling server for downloading and applying updates and Reporting.

Tesh

I prefer Norton Enterprise. Maybe a little expensive, but worth it.

I use Norton but be warned Norton 2002 will not work with server unless you buy the Enterprise edition Costly ... i use Norton 2001 and works a treat !!

Norton enterprise edition is the only way to go. It has a real time scanner any file that is opend is scanned at that time. You can roll out the program to clients on your network from one machine. There is a central quarantine which stores any viruses in one location. It has a technology called heuristics which basically looks for viruses that have not been discovered by looking at the way they act. Supposedly the heuristics is 80 - 90% right. Anyhow it puts them in the quarentine until you tell it what to do. Virus definitions are applied seamlessly and live so you dont have to reboot workstations. If you look at the cost of getting one virus especially a malicious one the cost of NAV is inconsequential. I work for a non-prfit and we have NAV enterprise edition.

Hi aferter using many AV SOFT FOR MY CONPANY I ONLY HAVE TO ADVISE TO USE TREND. SIMPLE TO USE AND VERY INTEGRATED. PLUS THEY ARE HOLDERS OF 54 OF THE MARKET MUST BE FOR SOME REASON. BUT DEPENDING ON YOUR CASH U ALSO MIGHT NEED OTHER TYPE OF AV SOFTWARE. I USE TREND SERVER PROTEC THAT UPDATES ALL SERVERS. AND SCANMAIL FOR EXCHANGE AND OFFICESCAN FOR CLIENTES MACHINES. THE INTEGRATION IS THE KEY TO A CLEAN ENVIROMENT. PLUIS IF U SUBSCRIVE NOTIFICATION THEY EVEN MAIL, CALL OR PAGE YOU ABOUT A NEW OUTBRAKE ALERT.

Norton enterprise edition is the only way to go. We have many clients running this on their network without any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back