Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Antivirus for Novell??

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdahoTech

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
US
Hello All,

Has anyone had any luck with antivirus on the Novell 6 servers with SP3? I Have setup one of my test servers with Novell 6 sp3 Updated java and all that good stuff. Runs great. Problem though is I cannot get a antivirus to run on Novell without it either slowing novell to a crawl or maybe crashing it hard. Some of the ones I have tried are Kaspersky, CA Etrust, Command (a.k.a. F-Prot), and a few others which I cannot remember off the top of my head.

Now there is something else. I am moving the network to IP only. Seems to be going good so far no problems (knock on wood) and it has helped keep the noise down. Problem with this though is some of the antivirus needs to have IPX installed and running in order for it to work on the serves. Ok I am not a dummy and the servers run fine with no problems, but when I try to install any kind of antivirus talk about sheer panic!!

Well if anyone has antivirus solutions or have run into the same problems as me let me know so I know I am not the only one out there noticing this. The one I dont like is the slowdown of the system. These work but it is like trying to access the web today with a 300 modem!!

Can't wait to hear if anyone has any suggestiosn or problems like this.

Thanks
IdahoTech

IdahoTech
'Only two things are infinite - the Universe and human Stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe' Albert Einstein

We use Symantec Antivirus corporate edition and it works great.

TJ

About a year ago I found an anti-virus solution that works from ravantivirus.com. Unlike GWAVA it has its own engine.
Unfortunately, Microsoft recently purchased their technology. I think you can still buy it, but how long it wil be supported is up in the air.

Ifolder,

I have talked with RAV and they were supposed to send me the keys to install it on a trial. That would explain why I havent heard from them in a while.

IdahoTech
'Only two things are infinite - the Universe and human Stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe' Albert Einstein

I have used McAfee Netshield (Network Associates - For the most part it works well, but they did originally have a problem on NetWare 6 and a conflict with NSS that isn't very well documented. It's resolved in their patch (v4.60a) and I haven't seen any further problems.

Marv

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Symantec Norton Anti-Virus Corporate Edition ver.8 works GREAT with Novell.

Hello IdahoTech,

We use also use Symantec's Norton Anti-Virus Corporate Edition ver.8 (just received the free 8.6 upgrade, but haven't installed it yet.)

Good Luck.

Check out Inoculan for Netware from Computer Associates. I run a limited copy that came with Arcserve backup SW. It scans files before they are copied to tape but there is also a real time version. Runs as NLM. I also use McAfee Netshield to scan my GroupWise E-mail Gateway, NLM also.

HTH
Ken

Hey Ken

I have inoculan but when I installed it on the server it loads then proceeds to unload from the server. I will call them and hope to get some help on this. Thanks all for your input into this issue. The best thing about CA Innoculan is that if we don't have enough money to purchase for next year we still get virus updates for the life of the product.

I will let you know what happens. Being a school district we have to watch where we spend. Anyone have any problems with F-PROT or I believe it is VIXIRA????

Thanks again,

IdahoTech

We have Inoculan for Netware & it's okay, but not the greatest! We had to change the default of "Scan incoming and outgoing files" to scanning incoming only. Otherwise, our network crawled.

We use Sophos Anti Virus running on all the clients and it also runs on the server however we do not have it running all the time justg when we need it.
You can always scan the server from a administrator client with mapped drives but when all the clients are running anti virus the need for virus software on the server is not as great.

I am new here so I hope this is an appropriate reply. If not, my apologies and I will start a new thread. Re Sophos: I just changed from McAfee to Sophos. I have to say that I am not too happy with what I have seen with Sophos on Netware. Real time scanning doesn't clean viruses. No way to exclude directories in real time? Am I missing something. Any input, tcstudio?

Well that is good to know for Innoculan. We have tried the FProt and it crashed our server it just kept rebooting and rebooting. Not a good thing. Well the quest is still on for a good antivirus that will not hog the system and drag it down.

Thanks for all your input. This thread has helped alot. We have looked in the Symanted solution to but they want more than we can afford. I will keep you all updated on what we go with.

IdahoTech

We use McAfee Netshield 4.61. No problems at all. Just make sure you scan only incoming files (writes), and not reads and writes, your system utilization will peg at 100% most likely. The options for automatic DAT upgrades are pretty good too.

We have have ease with using Trend Serv protect here.. Of course we will be moving to Symantec's in a few months..

Hi

I am a reseller for Norman Virus Control and Norman Data Defense has a Netware solution that works and works very well. The product is call Norman Firebreak. it works with Netware 4.11 to Netware 6.x and is edirectory enabled.

It is a great product, any client that has purchased it from me is very pleased.

Info on Norman Firebreak is at this link

Sincerely

Vaughn Bender

Netware CNE 5.x

Hello All,

Well good news is that I have loaded Kaspersky on my Novell system and it is working flawlessly. No Problems with slowdown. Not rebooting my server, no more software not loading at bootup. It seems to be a vital contendor.

Even the windows client is pretty basic on your system and doesnt take up much processing speed. Anyone that is out there should try Kaspersky. I loaded it onto my system and it took off no problems where as with the other softwares I needed to make sure this was on or this other NLM was installed and running.

It also puts in modules for ConsoleOne and for NWAdmin32!! Nothing like the other antivirus softwares. And from what I can see it not only stops the viruses but also gets trojans and backdoors as well. Check it out.

Well this is the winner so far. I have had it on my test system and it has worked flawlessly. Now I am ready to put it onto a working system and see how it looks on a true working server at one of my schools. I will let you know how that goes.

Thanks again... and will write here soon.

IdahoTech

I use Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition v8.1 and it works great!
My Windows 2000 server is the "parent" server that goes out to the internet and gets the live updates. Then it "pushes" these updated definitions out to my NetWare 6 sp3 servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back