Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Antique RAM Problems 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lionlion

Technical User
May 9, 2003
PH
Hi! I tried installing a 256MB PC 133 SDRAM on my board, but then, when I checked, it became only 128MB.

PC 100 SDRAM works well, but it is so ancient, I can't find any, anywhere (near). And I read somewhere (I forgot where) that I can use PC 133 on a PC 100 board. Unfortunately, it was cut in half when I installed it.

Can't I adjust something or so? Please help, thanks!

-----
Specs:

System Model
VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C692BX

Main Circuit Board
Board: Legend QDI Advance-9 V1.XX
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International,
Inc. 4.51 PG 12/17/1999

Processor
650 megahertz Intel Pentium III
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Do you have a M/B manual? Memory size limitations will be covered there.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

This is an extremely common issue, older motherboards either having a low total ram limitation or not recognising the more modern and denser memory types.
Also recognising only half the ram on the stick is common.
Your choice would be to either pick up a second hand PC100 256mb stick (if your motherboards supports that much per slot)
or buying from someone like Crucial who will gaurantee compatibility.
Double sided ram sticks also have a higher compatibility success rate, so as you have already commited yourself see if the supplier will swop what you have for a double sided alternative (fingers crossed)
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Yup Thanks Martin, can't I by any chance just alter some jumpers or so?

Nope sorry M8, the manufactures altered the architecture of the chips to make them cheaper to manufacture, this combined with the fact that they are denser (more ram per chip) has bought about these compatibility issues.
Crucial is your best bet or buying second hand older modules.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Not all pc133 stix are backwards compatible. That may be what happened here.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back