Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anti Virusd 360 removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrydoughty

Technical User
Aug 31, 2000
GB
My son in law has just phoned me to say that he has got Anti Virus 360 appear on his computer but cannot remove it. If he tries to go to a removal site he is told the site can be harmful and IE crashes.

Any suggestions?

Terry

He tried to remove but could not find it.

When he tries to access sites he gets a message saying that the site could be harmful and is returned to a blank page

he has tried accessing the site but cannot
Any site he tries for removal he gets blocked

I would look at starting a thread in PC Hardware - General discussion and see what you can get from there.

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

I would also recommend printing out the pages for him and taking/mailing them to him prior to formating the disk and doing a full reinstall.... Always best to attempt to remove the problem before attempting to destroy all the data.

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

Read this thread: follow the instructions for creating a boot CD, and then deliver/mail the CD to your son-in-law.

Once he boots from the CD and cleans up what he can he should then be able to boot in safe mode with networking. From there he should run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, Spybot S&D, and at least one online virus scanner.

Then have your son-in-law boot into normal mode and run MalwareBytes and Hijack This. Have him post the Hijack This log in the Virus/Spyware discussion Forum and the experts that watch that forum will be able to tell him what, if anything, needs fixing.

After he's got the whole system clean he should blow away any prior restore points by disabling and then enabling system restore.

Cheers.

My son in law has done a system restore which seems to have remedied it.

He has AVG Anti Virus free.

Any suggestions on other programs?

MalwareBytes and Spybot Search & Destroy for starters from download.com. Also, he should run Hijack This (from Trend Micro) and post it in the Virus/Spyware discussion Forum as I mentioned, and linked to, above.

Once his system is stable he should blow away his restore points (instructions in my previous post) so that he doesn't accidentally restore back to when his machine was infected.

Cheers.

You're welcome.

Oh, one more thing. Tell him NOT to install the Tea Timer option in Spybot S&D. It will slow his system to a crawl.

Cheers.

i would tell your son in law to back up his data and nuke his box. those viruses are like ivy...you think you killed it all but comes back every year. especially if he does online banking!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back