Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anti-Virus systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vmarria

Technical User
May 6, 2002
US
I'm not sure in what forum this post would go in, the company that i am currently working for after being hammered by a virus has finally decided to get an anti-virus system in place. However i'm not sure what would be the best system for them to use. They are running a windows 2000 server, with workstations using either windows 98, NT or 2000. There are about 60 workstations. However I’m not sure what virus program would be best for them, and the easiest to manage and setup. Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you

Varun

I highly suggest you go with Trend's Serverprotect for the Servers and it's OfficeScan suite for the Desktops. You can centrally manage it all and it has been nothing but top notch performer for me. I have over 40 servers now and 600 - 700 workstations and it handles all with little to no problem at all.

I also will suggest staying away from Mcafee, they are garbage!

Trend Antivirus

We used CA's InocuLAN for a long time where I work and it did a pretty good job although some of the server versions weren't particularly stable.

There is a corporate project under way to migrate world-wide to McAfee. It does look pretty good to me although complex to set up right. The main worry I have with it is the frequency of virus signature updates. With Inoculan (now InoculateIT) we get virus updates pretty much daily. With McAfee is seems to be one every 1-2 weeks. I don't care how good the software is if it's not right up to date then it's a major weakness IMO.

I am a Network Admin for a Major University. MCSE and the whole nine yards. We are running W2K active directory in most departments and other NT. We also use UNIX send mail for campus wide E-mail. What we do is use Trend Micro and McAfee sadwiched between services. The thought is that one might have an update out before the other. NO virus hits yet !! This has been in place for a year already. On the desktop, we run McAfee corporate edition. We use E-policy orchestrator to manage it. After many evaluations and research, McAfee is definatley the winner. They put out their updates as fast as a need arises. They also refine their scanning engines as well. Best product I have seen yet. They were also one of the quickest to put out an update when NIMBDA and CODE RED hit.

Good Luck.

On our exchange servers we use Antigen from Sybari and we use the scanners from Sophos, CA Inoculate and CA Vet.
On workstations we use Sophos.

If you have Exchange Antigen is great.

I have never used TrendMicro myself, but the people I buy Antigen and Sophos from say that TrendMicro for Exchange is good. They think Antigen is better especialy because you can use several scan-engines at the same time.

/johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back