Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anti Virus Favorite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macola10

Technical User
Feb 28, 2011
US
I am looking at changing our anti-virus solution. Currently use McAfee...only on PC's, nothing on server. What are your favorite solutions?

Thanks!

One more thought to consider, when considering DrZogg's post. It does matter what type of user you're talking about:
1. Home
2. Small Business
3. Corporate

And therefore whom it's for, who will be using it, who will be doing the support, etc, etc. Frankly for home use, there are probably several that are safe enough. My personal favorite right now is Microsoft Security Essentials. I like Avira Antivir, but for home use, their practically constant pop-ups have been getting to be too much. I've gotten to where I'd rather risk being infected than deal with the prompts to "buy our pro version".

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

We find AVG has ANOTHER firewall to worry about, and cant be disabled, and when you go to stop the service you dont have access to the process. We support and sell POS systems, and we find most of our problems have Windows Firewall and AVG.

DrZogg: Regarding the AVG firewall, AVG can be installed without the firewall component, just do a custom install and un-check the firewall.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I use AVG and so far haven't had any problems. I don't have the firewall component, either. I also use Malwarebytes on my machine.

DrZogg: Regarding the AVG firewall, AVG can be installed without the firewall component, just do a custom install and un-check the firewall.
Don't beleive it!

We had AVG on our server, when they released the next version the server version wasn't even meant to have firewall in it let alone a choice, yet it took our webserver out. AVG firewall even when not even meant to be part of the product messes with IIS!

support was useless so replaced with ESET NOD32 and everything has been fine (touch wood).

It's interesting many have moved away from McAfee, whereas our support company suggests we replace our Panda with McAfee?

Getting the right AV is a mindfield and what might be good this year can go seriously pearshaped next year.

Good luck with which ever provider you use, and let us know how you get on with it!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Free Electronic Dance Music Download

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back